The holiday season brings with it not just joy and cheer but also some hefty heating bills. With so many comings and goings, it is but natural for the home’s heating system to work overtime to keep your living space cozy and inviting, and so the corresponding increase in energy bills. At such a time, if someone were to tell you that there are ways in which you can keep it minimal, won’t that be simply super? Well, today we are going to do just that. Giving you another reason for cheer, try our ten awesome home heating tricks that will make your abode a cocoon of warmth without any additional expense.
10 Amazing Home Heating Tricks
1. Part The Curtains To Let In Natural Heat And Light – In the mornings, part your curtains to let in natural sunlight. It will add to the feeling of warmth and coziness indoors and provide an alternate source of light so that you don’t have to use the artificial ones. There are other benefits of sunlight as well, so you have nothing to lose. When the sun begins to set, close the curtains as it will add another level of insulation that traps the heat indoors.
2. Wear A Layer Of Warm Clothing – Wearing a layer of warm clothing indoors will do you no harm. In fact, you will be surprised how it reduces your dependency on the heating system. Every degree that you reduce, during winters, on the thermostat will bear fruit in the form of lower energy bills.
3. Move Your Furniture Around – If the place where you usually sit or sleep is away from the source of warm air, try shifting it closer. In doing so, remember the cardinal rule that the furniture, too, would absorb some heat. So the best thing to do is to shift it so that you face the radiator. Similarly, if any furniture is placed directly in front of the heat source, it will block the airflow. Hence, position all things in the house to promote the free flow of air. This little trick will enhance the feeling of warmth in your immediate vicinity and make you feel even more comfortable.
4. Use A Programmable Thermostat – You don’t have to keep a constant temperature setting on the thermostat throughout the day. Usually, days are warm, and you can lower the heat a couple of degrees. While the evenings and nights are cold so cranking up the temperature is called for. At night, when the temperature outdoors dips further, you can use a blanket for additional heat. A programmable thermostat allows you to use a variable temperature setting for different times of the day, and days of the week, without constant manual intervention. This, too, shall garner tremendous power savings as now there is no need for the heating system to always work at full steam.
5. Increase Humidity – Have you ever wondered why you feel hot (more than usual) in summers when the humidity is high? It is because humidity prevents your body from cooling down. For this very reason, increasing the humidity in winters will keep you feeling warmer for the same temperature setting. It allows you to crank down the heat and give your heating system a chance to step down a notch.
6. Use Good Insulation Throughout – Often, we use good quality insulation within the living space of the house. But that excludes the attic or the loft. The basic principle of hot air is that it rises to the top, and the top is where the attic is from which the warm air escapes. If you use poor quality insulation in such a place to save a few dollars, you shall pay for this dearly in terms of increased energy consumption. Therefore, use top-quality insulation throughout the house.
7. Draught Proof The House – Any gaps or cracks in the door, windows, floors, and walls act as sources of the leak. These cracks or crevices may either bring in cold air from outside or act as a source of the leak for the warm air indoors to escape. During the cold months, both scenarios are undesirable. Blocking out the droughts is the only solution. You can either do it yourself or ask your local carpenter to do it for you.
8. Replace The Air Filters – As we mentioned earlier, the free flow of air is important for the proper heating of the house. Dirty air filters act as an impediment to it. They need to be replaced regularly to prevent such happenings. Ideally, you should change them every month and if that’s not possible, then at least every quarter.
9. Use Reflective Panels – Reflective panels are also known as radiator panels. They ensure that the warm air from the radiators warms up the air inside the room and not the walls. These are cheap and quite easy to install, so you can undertake to install them yourself.
10.Annual Maintenance A Must Do – Do not think of annual furnace maintenance as a useless money-making tactic by the HVAC technicians and contractors. It is the surest way to reduce breakdowns and recover a large portion of the heating system’s lost efficiency. As the unit works incessantly, it suffers wear and tear, due to which its reliability and efficiency are compromised. Annual maintenance will take care of both issues and reduce your overhead expenses resulting in tremendous monetary savings.
Be Thankful For Heating This Season
Hopefully, our ten awesome home heating tricks will help you save a lot of money this winter. Remember, there is no way around skipping the annual maintenance as that will only lead to further uncalled for expenses.
If you have not yet booked a tune-up for your home’s heating system, do so now. Aztil Air Conditioning is open 24/7 and 365 days a year, so you can call us at any time. Be it HVAC installations, repairs, or maintenance, our technicians will always provide you with the best solution and top-quality service. Affordable services by certified and experienced technicians have allowed us to make a name for ourselves in South Florida. When you partner with us, we guarantee both your convenience and satisfaction. So why wait longer? Pick up the phone and dial +1-888-729-8452 to book an appointment today.