“Smart” is the new keyword. Phones, watches, cars, and even homes & offices are now smart. Being smart is not about giving a facelift to materialistic things. It is all about automation. In a bid to automate homes, you now have smart appliances like coffee makers, lights, fans, and such. The new addition to the list of things is now the “Smart Thermostat”. Why upgrade to a smart thermostat when your old one seems to be working fine? To answer this question, we need to know more about smart thermostats. So, let’s get down to it.
What Is A Smart Thermostat?
Those thermostats that are used for home automation are smart thermostats. They control the heating and cooling inside the home. A smart thermostat is very similar to a programmable thermostat. Both run on a schedule to control the temperature. But there exist some key differences as well. A smart thermostat has Wi-Fi connectivity and sensors. It also provides data like –
1. Indoor and outdoor temperature
2. How long the HVAC unit has been running.
3. The energy consumed so far.
4. Warning to change the air filters.
Can I upgrade To A Smart Thermostat Anytime?
You can upgrade to a smart thermostat anytime provided that your HVAC system is low voltage (24V), and there is sufficient wiring for Wi-Fi and C-terminal connectivity. There are other considerations as well, but those are for another time. You can also ask your HVAC company to confirm whether your system is compatible and meets the other requirements for upgrading to a smart thermostat.
Why Upgrade To A Smart Thermostat?
Technology is evolving continuously. As it evolves, newer and better things come into existence while the old ones become outdated and obsolete. When things are on the verge of obsolescence, it becomes difficult and costly to get them repaired and maintained. New technology, on the other hand, maybe expensive, to begin with, but slowly it becomes mainstream, and the price evens out. At such a time, embracing change is the best option. The same stands true for smart thermostats. Other than bringing your home into the modern age, below are a few other reasons why you should upgrade to a smart thermostat.
Benefits Of A Smart Thermostat
1. Remotely Adjust Temperature – If the weather turned suddenly without any warning and you are still in office, no need to worry anymore. Instruct your smart thermostat to change the temperature settings at home from the confines of your office. With a smartphone and a Wi-Fi connection, one can adjust the temperature at home remotely. By the time you reach home, it becomes nice and cozy just the way you wanted.
2. Smart Savings – Smart thermostats are not just smart but also energy saving. Combine it with an HVAC unit that is energy efficient, and you have the best combination to work with. These thermostats are built to cut your energy usage when you and your family are away from home. So, your HVAC system works hard only when you need it to and not always.
3. Fewer Problems – The traditional thermostats suffer from a lot many problems due to bad connections, dust & grime build-up, poor choice of placement, corrosion, etc. Smart thermostats, on the other hand, are low maintenance and do not suffer from any such issues. They not only last for a longer period of time but also give consistently accurate results.
4. Smart Zoning – With smart thermostats, you can easily zone your house and fix specific temperatures for the areas that you are using and those that you aren’t. Your HVAC unit does not have to work hard to maintain the same temperature throughout the home. For the portion not being used, you can switch to energy-saving settings, and for the rest of it, the temperature that you desire.
5. Smart Warning System – Cherry on top is the warning system in the smart thermostats. It not only tells you when the air filters need to be changed but also indicates the changes in humidity and outdoor temperatures, which may warrant a change in indoor settings.
6. Learns Your Temperature Behavior – Over a period of time, the smart thermostat learns your temperature and humidity needs and automatically makes adjustments to keep your home comfortable. It will not always prompt you for an input about which it has already acquired knowledge.
7. Vacation Mode – Every time you go on vacation, you don’t have to change all the settings on your home thermostat. Just put your smart thermostat on the vacation setting and remotely switch back to normal settings when you are on your way back home.
8. Keeps Tab On Energy Usage – Smart thermostats not just store your energy usage but also displays it at your convenience. You can easily do a comparative study whenever you want and helps you get a better handle on the best settings for your home.
Is It Worth Upgrading To A Smart Thermostat?
If you are frequently away from home and that too at short notice, it makes sense to upgrade to a smart thermostat. Even if you forget to change the settings in a hurry, you can do it remotely. And when you are on your way back, you can again switch it to the temperature that you want. On their own, smart thermostats can’t make your HVAC unit more energy-efficient until and unless you have completely messed up the programming on your current thermostat.
If you are looking to upgrade, smart thermostats are an obvious choice. They are the next generation of thermostats, which will sooner rather than later replace the programmable thermostats. If that is inevitable, you might as well jump in right now and make the change. However, if your programmable thermostat is working fine and shows no signs of trouble, you can wait a while before switching over. In the end, it is a choice that you have yo make after weighing the pros and cons. If you are stuck in a dilemma and wish for an expert opinion, feel free to contact us at Aztil AC.