Have you ever thought of your air conditioner duct cleaning? If not, it’s time to do so now. Most Americans think of it as an unnecessary expenditure. You are no different in that regard because it is the popular thinking. The importance of air conditioner duct cleaning has taken a backseat because of a lack of awareness about its adverse consequences.
Before we begin, let me give you a small tidbit of information. Are you aware that a single duct cleaning service helps to get rid of approximately 6 pounds of dust and debris per home? No. Well, now you have something to think about in terms of the cleanliness of your home.
Air Conditioner Duct Cleaning – What Is It?
The process of clearing out the dust and debris trapped in the air ducts, grilles, and registers is called duct cleaning. As the ducts are in the attic and behind the walls, cleaning them needs professional help. You cannot do it on your own. The most efficient way of cleaning them is with a high-powered vacuum and compression system.
When To Get The Air Ducts Cleaned?
Ideally, air duct cleaning should be done annually. However, you should also get it done if:
1. You have pets at home.
2. Seen signs of rodents, pests, or critter infestation. In such a case, you should get it done at least twice a year.
3. You have recently renovated or upgraded your current home. Air duct cleaning will help get rid of all the dust that has found its way inside your otherwise clean house.
4. You have come across signs of mold and mildew in your home.
Importance Of Air Conditioner Air Duct Cleaning
If you have so far not thought of getting the air conditioner ducts cleaned, now is the time to do so. Here are some benefits of a duct cleaning:
1. Improves Air Quality – The indoor air quality suffers the most when the air conditioner ducts are not cleaned. Air ducts house dust, dander, allergens, and other microbes and irritants that find their way regularly into the air circulating in your home. The air that circulates inside is the same that you breathe. Clean air passing through the ducts picks up these impurities and becomes dirty. Often it causes health issues like skin allergies and breathing troubles. To keep the indoor air quality good, you should get the air conditioner duct cleaning done by professionals.
2. Protects The Heating And Cooling System – If the ventilation system is dirty, your AC unit is also bound to get dirty. Primarily, dust accumulation occurs over the coils and the blower motor. As a result, the AC is put under tremendous stress and has to work longer and harder to render the necessary cooling. An AC that works under stress tends to heat up and develop related issues. If you want to protect the heating and cooling system of your home, professional duct cleaning is your only answer.
3. Enhances Energy Efficiency – Any accumulations inside the duct system restricts the free flow of air. More often than not, the real culprit is dust and dander. When the air ducts are clogged, the AC is unable to perform optimally. It consumes more power because of which your energy bills increase. To maintain the energy efficiency of your air conditioner, you have to get the air ducts cleaned regularly.
4. Removes Odors – Almost all homes have a smell unique to them. Sometimes it is fragrant and pleasant and sometimes stale and repulsive. The things that add to the odor in the home are paint fumes, food, pets, mold, cigarette smoke, and such. These smells get trapped in the dust particles inside the duct and keep circulating back inside the home, along with the air that blows over them. The ideal way to get rid of these odors is air conditioner duct cleaning.
5. Cleaner Living Environment – Getting rid of all dust and other irritants trapped anywhere inside the home makes for a cleaner living environment. The ducts are often the dirtiest places in a home with central heating and cooling. Circulating air keeps picking up these unwanted impurities and depositing them on surfaces, walls, upholstery, etc., making them dirty. A clean living environment is possible only if the house is cleaned regularly, along with its ductwork.
Choosing A Professional Duct Cleaning Company
Duct cleaning is a skilled work that requires not just expertise but also special equipment. Not everyone is in possession of these qualities. When you are choosing a duct cleaning company, make sure that they have a truck-mounted and high-powered vacuum and compression system. Having this system is not enough. You need to further check that it is certified by NADCA or the National Air Duct Association. A company that meets these two requirements is the ideal candidate for handling the job of air conditioner duct cleaning in your home.
Some duct cleaning companies tend to propose the application of a chemical biocide inside the ducts to kills germs and bacteria and prevent their future growth. They may also want to apply a “sealant” to prevent the particle matter from being released into the air. Prior to taking any decision in this regard, you need to fully comprehend its pros and cons. As of today, EPA has no registered chemical biocides for application in the air ducts.
Preventing Dust From Entering The Ducts
Here are a few things that you can do to limit the dust inside the ducts:
1. Change the air filters regularly. Please don’t wait for them to become clogged.
2. Use the air filter with the highest efficiency as recommended by the manufacturer of your AC.
3. If your home is under renovation, close the grilles and registers and refrain from operating the AC until the work is complete and the home thoroughly cleaned.
4. Brush your pets often outside so that they don’t shed inside.
5. Maintain the correct humidity level inside your home.
Cleaning the air ducts at least once a year is ideal. However, the cleanliness and hygiene of your home do not depend solely on duct cleaning. To keep your home spick and span, you have to vacuum it regularly, dust all surfaces, and air out the carpets and rugs. Together these practices will make your residence a happy and healthy place to live in.