You may have heard about the tankless water heater but never really paid much attention to it. The reason could be that your present home already had a perfectly working water heating system and you were in no hurry to replace it. Now, things may have changed, making it necessary to brush up on your knowledge so that you can make the best decision. If you are looking to learn about tankless water heaters and what makes them special, you are in the right place.
Tankless Water Heater
Tankless water heaters are known by many names. If you haven’t heard this one, you may have heard some other variant. The other names used interchangeably are instant water heaters, on-demand water heaters, flash water heaters, etc. No matter the name they go by, they still perform the same work, and that is heating the water to meet your household’s daily requirements.
As the name itself suggests, a tankless water heater has no tank. Instead, it heats water directly. So water is heated only when it is needed. When you turn on the hot water tap, cold water passes through the pipes to the heating unit, equipped with flow sensors. These sensors become active when the water flows, resulting in the heating of water.
Advantages Of Tankless Water Heater
Tankless water heaters offer many advantages, and these happen to be a major contributor to their popularity. Here is a brief overview:
1. Compact In Size – Since there is no tank to hold the water, the tankless water heaters make for a compact unit. These can easily be mounted on walls and do not take much space or become an eyesore. These are perfect for small homes and small families. Their size, however, does not mean any dearth of hot water.
2. Energy Savings – The standard water heater heats the water and stores it in the tank. When the water cools down, it reheats it. Critical is to notice that water is not heated when it is wanted. Rather, it is kept constantly heated, which means wastage of energy. The tankless water heater provides high-efficiency operations without wasting energy in any form. So what you get are tremendous energy savings.
3. Low Maintenance – Instant water heaters are low maintenance. As the surface area that comes in direct contact with water is small, these are also easy to maintain and cause far fewer problems. Therefore, if you are looking for a heating system that gives you the least amount of trouble, a tankless water heater is your answer.
4. Have A Longer Life Span – A standard water heater has a lifespan of around 10 years, while a tankless water heater can run twice as long. So when you buy a flash water heater, you don’t have to worry about changing it every 10 years. Instead, you enjoy its functions for two decades before it is time to replace or upgrade.
Disadvantages Of Tankless Water Heater
Now let’s talk about their disadvantages. After all, to make a wise decision, you need to see the complete picture. There are three main drawbacks of flash water heaters, and these are:
1. Expensive – The average cost of a conventional storage water heater is around $500. In contrast, the base model of a tankless system starts at $1,000. Needless to say, these are twice as expensive. Nevertheless, the jump in price is more than made up through energy savings and twice the lifespan. So don’t look at this investment from just a single viewpoint. Instead, try to gauge the benefits that the price tag carries.
2. Inconsistent Temperatures – If you open multiple faucets of hot water simultaneously, the heater will not be able to match the demand with consistently heated water. The water may come out as just warm instead of hot. Another related problem is that if the faucet is just slightly open, as is the case when brushing or shaving, the heater may not turn on at all. It happens because the flow sensors cannot sense the water flow, so they fail to initiate the heating process. In such a case, what you get is cold or normal water, instead of hot water.
3. May Require Rerouting Of Gas Lines – A tankless water heater runs on natural gas or propane. Therefore, its installation may require rerouting the gas line, which will naturally increase the installation cost. Further, you may also have to add new venting, which will lead to another increase in the total cost of the project. Still, do bear in mind that these are just a one time expense.
Tankless Water Heaters Qualify For Federal Tax Credits
Since the tankless water heating systems are very efficient, the government wants to promote their use. Consequently, you can avail of special financing schemes for them and also avail of federal tax credits. These financial benefits help set off the increase in installation costs. At present, there is a 10% tax credit on the total buying and installing cost of the tankless water heater.
Tankless Water Heaters Are Special
If you and your family are conscientious users of hot water, you will be happy to invest in an on-demand water heater. These systems are efficient, with low maintenance costs, and twice the lifespan. Changing the water usage habits in your household will help you save a lot of money in the long run.
Are you confused about which type of heater to install in your home? Or you have further questions you need to ask before making a final decision? In either case, the elite team of experts at Aztil Air Conditioning can help. We shall be glad to answer all your questions and help you make the best decision for your home. We are dedicated to ensuring your comfort, first and foremost. Do give us a call at +1-888-729-8452 to speak to our experts. We even take care of installations, repairs, and maintenance of all heating and cooling systems. Call us at any time if you need any of our services. We promise to take action promptly and to your complete satisfaction.