If you were unaware, regular maintenance of your heating and air conditioning units is extremely important. If you didn’t know this by now, you probably have experienced an unexpected breakdown of your unit, leaving you without any heating or cooling during the most uncomfortable times of the year.
Scheduling an AC tune-up usually costs very little and can have a large return on your investment. Besides helping to avoid unexpected breakdowns in Florida’s scorching summers, routine air conditioning tune-ups are important for the long term health of your cooling system. From helping your unit recover lost efficiency to safer operation, AC tune-ups can improve the overall lifespan of your air conditioning units, saving you money in the long run. At the very least, you should have your systems inspected and tuned up at least once a year.
Changing Air Filters
While there is no avoiding routine check-ups and tune-ups, there are simple things you can do to help avoid serious breakdowns. Regularly changing your A/C filters does wonders for the life, efficiency, and performance of your unit. In South Florida, you may need to change your filters up to once per month depending on a number of factors such as how many pets you have or the location of your home (living on dusty/dirt roads or areas with high pollen counts could mean changing filters more frequently). It’s also important to clean your outdoor unity any time you change your filter; grass clippings, leaves and other debris can reduce a system’s efficiency and the lifespan of the equipment.
How Tune-Ups Save You Money
A thorough tune-up should include a number of things, including the following services which help to save you on energy costs:
- Comprehensive cleaning of condenser coils – this cleaning is imperative to the efficiency of your air conditioning unit and can reduce wear and tear. This also directly impacts energy costs.
- Evaluation of the coolant levels and lubrication of all moving parts to eliminate friction and wear. By having optimal coolant levels and properly lubricated parts, you can avoid extra wear or overworking your unit, leading to lower energy costs.
- Calibration of your thermostat – an improperly calibrated thermostat can cause more work than necessary for your unit, causing unexpected and early breakdowns that cost a fortune.
- A full ductwork inspection – by inspecting the ductwork for tears or leaks, you can ensure that your home or office is insulated properly which can help to lower energy costs as well as ensure the health of your system.
- Tightening and inspecting of all electrical connections – by verifying safe system operations, you’re ensuring the longevity of your heating and cooling system, preventing any unexpected mechanical issues.
- Evaluating the performance of the blower belt and motor – often overlooked, inefficent performance from the motor or the belts can cause early and unexpected breakdowns, much like with a car.
3 Reasons To Not Skip an AC Tune-Up
Reason #1 – Cost:
The motivating factor in almost all purchasing decisions comes down to cost. “Do I really want to spend this money? Can I afford it?” When it comes to an air conditioning tune-up, you’ll probably find yourself asking if it makes financial sense. While it’s no guarantee that skipping a tune-up will cause your air conditioner to break down, you can bet that if it does the repair will cost more than a tune-up would have. Tune-ups don’t stop all AC problems from happening, but at least 50% of all cooling problems could be prevented or diagnosed early by annual tune-ups and maintenance. Well maintained units also are more efficient, directly saving you money on energy and cooling costs.
Reason #2 – Warranty:
Almost every new AC unit comes with a limited warranty from the manufacturer. One thing most people don’t know is that most warranties require keeping your unit maintained. There are many manufacturers that will void warranties unless you keep your air conditioner regularly maintained by an HVAC professional. This means that even DIY tune-ups and fixes won’t cut it. When you think about it, it’s a win-win for everybody. AC tune-ups are less expensive for you, and well-maintained units need replacing less often, saving you and the manufacturer money in the long-run.
Reason #3 – Longevity:
While this reason could also fit under costs, it deserves its own explanation. Regular maintenance leads to fewer repairs and prolongs the life of your air conditioner. And the reverse is also true; neglecting proper AC tune-ups and maintenance reduces the lifespan of a unit. Having your unit last as long as possible should be one of importance to save money, headaches, and even worse scenarios. Having your AC unit die in the middle of summer in South Florida is one of the worst things that can happen.
Why Choose Aztil’s Professional AC Tune-Up
A thorough A/C tune-up and professional cleaning from Aztil includes the following checks and services:
- Thermostat calibration
- Lubrication of fan motors
- Air temp differential checks
- Power consumption diagnosis
- Filter installation, replacement, and cleanings (for proper air flow)
- Electronic measurement of amperage on all motors & compressors
- Condenser coil cleanings
- Removal of debris from condenser coils
- Electrical connectivity checks (for burnt or loose wires and tightening of caps)
- Adjust and balance all registers
- Refrigerant level checks
- Heating element checks
- Heat cycle & system analysis
- Secure fan blades/check relays & contractors
- Ductwork inspections and evaluations (checks for mold and leaks)
- Unit seal/re-seals
- Replacement of missing hardware such as screws
- Complete compressor diagnosis
- Disconnect box checks
- Fuse cartridge checks
- Evaporator drain line cleaning
- Removal of sludge & debris from drain lines
- Drain pan vacuuming
- Algae tableting
Contact Aztil For Professional AC Tune-Up
Whether it’s your first ac tune-up or you are looking for something better, Aztil Air Conditioning offers quality and professional AC tune-ups as well as repair, maintenance, replacement and installation for all of your heating and cooling needs.
Aztil AC offers air conditioning services to South Florida residents and beyond. Contact us today for an efficient AC tune-up appointment, and as always, the best in customer services and care.