Every machinery continuously in use needs servicing or tune-up to keep it reliable and work efficiently. It’s something similar to how you visit a doctor every year to ensure your good health and well being. Your body is a machine comprising different parts, each forming a harmonious one. Nonetheless, ailment in any one part can make the whole body suffer. The only way to make sure that you don’t fall severely ill is by proactively visiting the general practitioner and getting everything checked out. Similar is the case with air conditioners. An air conditioning tune-up makes the cooling system dependable and keeps the unit functioning smoothly without any breakdowns.
What Happens In An Air Conditioning Tune-Up?
A typical AC tune-up involves the following:
1. Cleaning of the condenser coil.
2. Assessment of the refrigerant levels and checking for leaks
3. Calibration of the thermostat
4. Inspection of all moving parts
5. Tightening of electrical components.
6. Examining and evaluating the functioning of the blower motor and belt.
Air Conditioning Tune-up Checklist
Here is an essential checklist of air conditioning tune-up that will come handy while yours is getting done. The checklist is by no means exhaustive. Instead, it is indicative of the most crucial checks that will be done during the scheduled maintenance.
1. Check For Leaks – The very first step is to check for water leaks in the system. The drip tray, safety switch, and the drain line are intensively checked. If there is any water dripping from the unit, the technician will identify its source and take steps to seal it. Leaking water can damage both the air conditioning unit along with the floor and furnishings of the house. Usually, the drain line is also flushed to dislodge any accumulated matter that could lead to leaks.
2. Cleaning Of Unit – This particular activity involves a general body cleanup of both the indoor and outdoor units. More intensive cleaning of the compressor fins, condenser coil, evaporator coil, blower fan, and such is also carried out to make then free of any build-ups.
3. Replacing Dirty Air Filters – The most common cause of a majority of air conditioner problems is the dirty air filters. To work smoothly, an AC needs an unrestricted flow of air. Dirty air filters throw a wrench in plans by slowing down the airflow. Changing dirty air filters will give a dramatic improvement in the efficiency and cooling capability of the AC.
4. Checking Coolant Level – The coolant or the refrigerant is responsible for drawing away heat from the air and making it cool. Due to leaks in the refrigerant line, its level may drop. This impacts the cooling efficiency of the AC. Therefore, in the cooling system’s annual maintenance, the technician will check the refrigerant level. If it is found to be less than the prescribed level, he will check for the source from which it has leaked. The crack or hole will be sealed, and then the coolant will be topped to the requisite mark.
5. Lubricating All Moving Parts – Moving parts often rub against each other. The friction can cause them to heat up and get damaged. To reduce the chances of faults developing due to parts being in motion, their lubrication is necessary. Oiling and greasing are the two popular methods that are used to minimize friction.
6. Tightening Of Electrical Connections And Other Loose Components – An air conditioner has many electrical and mechanical components. Sometimes these parts become loose. One of its indicators is a clanking sound coming from the AC when it is switched on. Such occurrences are entirely avoidable through a tune-up. The technician gives a thorough once over to the air conditioning unit to figure out all loose connections and parts. These are tightened to avoid short circuits and broken components.
7. Inspect For Signs Of Corrosion And Wear and Tear – Corrosion can cause deterioration of the drip tray, the condenser coil, and the evaporator coil. If the corrosive layer is cleaned before it gets a good hold of the element, the damage caused by it can be contained. On the other hand, if it is allowed to fester, it will land up mutilating some important sections of the AC. Similarly, wear and tear can lead to frayed wires, loose fan belt, etc. Through the medium of a tune-up, the chances of such incidents can be mostly done away with.
8. Check The Capacitor And Contactor – The capacitor and contactor are two very important parts of a cooling system. The capacitor makes the AC motor run while the contactor allows it to cycle “on” and “off” as per the temperature setting. Hence, both need to be evaluated for optimum performance. In case either of them is found to be lacking, replacement of the faulty one is in order. It will be taken care of by the technician.
9. Check The Ducts For Leaks – Usually, ducts are out of sight hidden behind walls. But, these, too, need to be assessed for proper insulation and leaks. Leaking air ducts and poor insulation means loss of cool air. The technician will check the ducts for both the problems and take corrective action wherever necessary.
10. Checking The Thermostat – The overall control of the air conditioner is through the thermostat. Hence, it, too, is a part of the annual air conditioning tune-up. The thermostat is checked for proper installation, loose connections, and battery charge. Additionally, tests are carried out to know whether it is calibrated correctly or not. If not, modifications are done to rectify the situation. Remember, a thermostat that is not calibrated correctly will not be able to judge the temperature and add to your discomfort and cooling costs.
Food For Thought
Air conditioning tune-up is a necessity if you do not wish to bear any discomfort at home. It is beneficial both for the life of the AC and your pockets. With the help of a strict maintenance regime, you can get optimum output and maximum comfort from your air conditioner.
If you haven’t got the maintenance of your AC done until now, give a call at +1-888-729-8452 to avail Aztil Air Conditioning services. We are a family-owned HVAC company operating in West Palm Beach, Florida, for more than 30 years. We are a strong, trained, dedicated, and experienced team of 100+ air experts with more than 100 well-equipped trucks. Our office is open 24/7 to serve you at all hours of the day. We take care of all HVAC related jobs like installation, repair, and maintenance. Making your home comfortable is our whole and sole priority.