Life would be so much easier if someone were to give you a checklist of things you need to do in order to maintain your divine abode. Taking care of it all the year-round may seem like a daunting task, but it is something that you have to do diligently. Your home is your sanctuary, a place that is your own, a place you come back to at the end of each day.
Taking good care of it will not only increase its lifespan but also prevent small issues from becoming big and costly concerns. So, we decided its time for some divine intervention (Ahem! More like Aztil AC intervention). In an endeavor to make your life easy, here’s a seasonal home maintenance checklist, especially for you. It’s even more helpful to those who reside in Florida.
Home Maintenance Checklist
You have made the right decision to take care of your life’s most significant investment proactively. The checklist below will help you stay on top of all the jobs that you need to attend to in order to preserve the value of your home. For ease of convenience, we shall break down this checklist in two portions –
1. Seasonal home maintenance checklist.
2. Periodic home maintenance checklist.
Seasonal Home Maintenance Checklist
Season to season the cleaning and maintenance requirements keep on changing. Here is a list of jobs you need to complete for each season –
1) HVAC servicing should be a top priority. Your central air conditioner split AC, or window AC needs to be serviced by a trained professional so that it is all set to run with maximum efficiency and minimum problems in the coming summers. If you wait until summers to get this job done, you may have to wait longer due to the high demand for HVAC technicians during that time.
2) Clean the gutters and drainage. You can’t wait for the rainy season to start before cleaning them. By then, blocked drains and gutters will cause serious troubles in the form of damp of ceiling and walls. In turn, this will result in mold formation.
3) Replant your garden. If you want to get landscaping done or replace a few plants and sow a few new seeds in empty patches, now is the time to do so.
4) Clean windows and screens so that there are no remnants of any winter debris. If anything needs repairing, it should be done now.
5) Inspect the foundation for any cracks. These need to be filled before the advent of the rainy season.
1) Get the heavy laundry done. For example, if you want to wash your carpets and other upholstery, now is the time to do so. The hot summer sun will aid in their drying and also kill bacteria.
2)Air out your home because a better opportunity will not present itself. It means open those closed windows, clean the chimney, and vacuum the ducts.
3) Don’t forget your clothes dryer. It needs to be cleaned. Suck out the lint with a vacuum cleaner and check for any blockages if the exhaust is minimal.
4) Check the garage sensors while the sun is still out.
1) Trim the foliage and clean the drains to keep your landscaping clean and pristine.
2) Check all the sliding doors and windows for smooth and slick operations.
3) Drain the hoses and store them properly.
1) Clean that garage for some necessary activity and to catch some sun. Get rid of all the unwanted stuff and organize all that remains.
2) Repair the cracks in the foundation before the spring thaw.
Periodic Home Maintenance Checklist
You can also perform the home maintenance jobs on a monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual basis.
1) Change AC filters every month. If you can’t change them, clean them rigorously with a brush and water until all dust and debris are removed.
2) Flush the toilets that are not in use. This will keep them in proper working order.
3) Run water through sinks which are not used often.
4) Clean the electric chimney in the kitchen.
5) Mow the grass in front yard and backyard.
6) Check the level of salt. If required, add more. Also, make sure that no error code is displayed. In case it displays an error, get it rectified immediately.
7) Check water softener.
1) Check the drains on the outside to ensure there is no standing water. Clean all such things like leaves, twigs, stones, and other debris that can clog them.
2) Lubricate all doors and windows so that they open and close smoothly. Include the garage door as well.
3) Trim the trees, hedges, and other foliage which is growing out of proportion.
4) Clean the gutters and all the weep holes to ensure proper and efficient water drainage.
Semi-Annual Job List
1) Clean and disinfect all the appliances in the house, especially the refrigerator, dryer, water tank, etc.
2) Deep clean the carpets, curtains, sofa, meshes (on doors and windows) and any other similar items to keep them hygienic and smelling nice.
3) Check for cracks in the foundation and sheetrock, loose tiles and floor. Fix them as soon as possible.
Annual Job Card
1) Get complete maintenance of your HVAC unit done by a trained technician.
2) The tank of your water heater needs to be flushed to prevent sediment buildup and corrosion.
3) Pest control treatment should also be done once a year.
4) Thoroughly clean all the ducts and vents in the house.
We have tried to make the seasonal home maintenance checklist as comprehensive as possible. However, it is by no means an exhaustive list. To suit your requirements, you may add more things to it. Cutting it short is not advisable. It includes the minimum items that you have to check to maintain your house in a tip-top manner. We hope this list meets all your needs and lives up to your expectations.