The mere thought of replacing both the air conditioner and the furnace at the same time is enough to give anyone the heebie-jeebies. It is a big financial decision where any mistakes would lead to further costs and additional troubles. Due to the financial strain, almost everyone wants to spread the expense so that they don’t have to purchase the two together. Meanwhile, there will be people who will stress the importance of replacing them simultaneously. But who is correct?
Today, we dedicate this article to ending your dilemma. Hopefully, by the time you are through reading, you will know which option suits you the best.
Life Expectancy Of AC And Furnace
An important thing that one needs to keep in mind is the expected lifespan of the air conditioner and the furnace. Typically, the life of AC is between 10 to 15 years, and that of the furnace is between 15 to 20 years. Clearly, the heating system runs longer than the cooling system. So, it would be rare to buy a new air conditioner and furnace together. By the time the life of one ends, the other still has a few more years to go.
Despite it being evident that the furnace runs longer than the AC, some factors make it necessary to replace the two systems together to avoid a mismatch.
Things To Consider When Pondering To Buy A New Air Conditioner And Furnace
Apart from considering the age of your AC and furnace to gauge the life left in them, here are a few other things that you need to contemplate:
1. The Type Of AC You Are Upgrading To – The old air conditioners usually had a single speed, which happened to be the full speed. This was a big drawback whose result was greater power consumption. Modern air conditioners have a variable-speed option. You can now choose to lower the speed to suit the season and needs of your household. In all this, the biggest catch is that the AC uses the furnace blower to move and disperse the air. Therefore, if you wish to utilize your variable-speed AC’s full capability, you should ideally replace the furnace as well.
2. Air Flow Deliverability Of The Furnace – By now, you must have realized that the AC and furnace need to complement each other because they share quite a few components in doing their job. Whenever there is a mismatch, you will not be able to exploit at least one system’s full potential, and the other will work hard to keep up, making for a losing battle in terms of savings and comfort. Your new air conditioner may have a different indoor coil, which will make it essential for the furnace to be of the proper size. Only an HVAC technician can advise you on that based on the static pressure of the system.
3. Difficulty Of Installation – Installations, too, cost a pretty penny. Just because you had your AC installed earlier does not mean that the furnace installation will be free. Nevertheless, if you get both units installed at the same time, you can get a good deal in the form of value-added services or special discounts. If it’s cheaper to get the two units installed simultaneously, it may be a better idea to replace them at the same time.
Benefits Of Buying A New Air Conditioner And Furnace At The Same Time
Now, let’s talk about the advantages of buying a new air conditioner and furnace at once. Replacing both the heating and the cooling system helps you avail the following benefits:
1. Lesser Need For Repairs – When the two systems are mismatched, the inferior one must work harder to keep up with the superior one. Even then, it fails miserably due to outdated technology and massive wear and tear. Often the more vulnerable unit malfunctions and develops faults or snags frequently. This leads to one repair after another with no end in sight until it fails altogether. When the two systems are a perfect match, which will happen when you replace them together, both units will work completely in sync with each other resulting in a lesser need for repairs.
2. Improved Efficiency – Having matched systems means that everything is lined up as it should. It guarantees optimum performance from the cooling system as well as the heating unit. Together they give maximum efficiency, which decreases your annual utility bills and makes your abode more welcoming and comfortable.
3. More Discounts – When you buy two units together, there are high chances of getting a good deal on the final purchase price. Similarly, installing them together will help you save on labor costs, and if you are lucky, you may get a discount on the total installation cost. This makes for a sweet deal, becoming even sweeter.
When Not To Replace The AC And Furnace Together
If your furnace is 10 years old or lesser and in perfect working order, you can overlook replacing it. Since the life expectancy of a well-maintained furnace is almost 20 years, the chances are that you will need to replace it when your currently new AC is also on its last leg of useful product life.
It is always a good idea to buy a new air conditioner and furnace simultaneously. This way, you have a matched set, and the chances of any trouble are minimal. Both will give optimum performance, and you will more than make-up for the additional expense through the annual savings. Having said that, the final decision also rests on the age of your heating system and its technology. Also, you need to work out your finances to know whether the combined deal is affordable or not.
Aztil Air Conditioning recommends replacing the heating and cooling systems together. Though we also understand your need for not following this thinking. It is quite a sizable investment and may not be everybody’s cup of tea. Despite that, we are always at your service to help you make the best decision in line with your financial planning. We believe in customer satisfaction first and foremost, so be assured that our advice will always be to your benefit. As an HVAC company, we aim to help you make your space comfortable and inviting. If you live in West Palm Beach and wish to schedule the installation, repairs, maintenance, or replacement of your HVAC system, give us a call at +1-888-729-8452.