Very few people ever give attention to the ductwork in their homes. Though we depend on the heating and cooling system to keep our home comfortable, yet we forget that it is the ducts that carry the treated air. While the duct problems do not lead to any major electrical failures, it still is responsible for maintaining a comfortable indoor environment along with maintaining good air quality. Therefore, ignoring the ductwork could become your biggest problem.
Problems That Result From Ignoring The Ducts
The are several problems that can creep up if the ducts are never maintained or cleaned. Here are some of them:
1. Increase In Dust Indoors – If you have been cleaning the home as before and still the amount of dust remains the same or has increased, the chances are that your ducts are dirty. The dust inside the ducts is bound to find its way indoors with the air that blows through them. It settles over clean surfaces and makes them dirty. You feel as if the house was never cleaned in the first instance. No matter how long and how often you clean the home, the dust and grime just keep accumulating with the air that blows through the ducts.
2. Pest Infestation – Critters, pests, and rodents often make homes inside the ducts. The darkness and the cool climate inside the ducts offer a perfectly safe habitat to them. However, this creepy crawlies are harbingers of disease and destruction. To ignore the ducts means ignoring the presence of these small animals, but ignoring them will not make them go away. And if by chance they do leave on their own, their homes and droppings still remain behind. These release contaminants into the air blowing through the ducts and deteriorates the indoor air quality.
3. Mold In And Around The Ducts – Sometimes, pests or critters chew through the ducts, and sometimes cracks or holes may appear in them due to age. One will not come to know about this until it is too late. Through the cracks, a part of the cold air may escape or mix with warm air from outside. As a result, there may be condensation. This creates moistness in and around the ducts, which offers the perfect breeding ground for mold. Once the mold has gained entry to your home, its spores will spread with the blowing air throughout the home. So, more mold colonies may pop. Also, if anyone in your home suffers from breathing ailments, the mold spores will add to their woes.
4. Poor Insulation In The Ducts – Most old homes have very poor to almost no insulation in the ducts. It is mostly because the people were not aware of how insulation in the ducts can increase the efficiency of the heating and cooling system installed in the home. If you never get your ducts professionally cleaned, you will never come to know about the quality of insulation inside them. If you have been complaining about the high energy bills, maybe, the culprit is none other than the ducts.
5. Poor Indoor Air Quality – The dust that blows through the ducts, the mold spores that spread far and wide in your home, the animal dander that comes in from the ducts and floats in the air inside your home, deteriorates the quality of the air you breathe. Since you have been ignoring the ducts, there is no way you can get rid of these contaminants and allergens. Consequently, you will see that the allergies are more severe, and your family members fall ill more often. Filthy ducts lead to poor indoor air quality, which in turn makes for your poor health.
How Often Should The Ducts Be Cleaned?
The ducts don’t become dirty overnight. It takes years for them to reach that level of unsanitary conditions that professional cleaning becomes a must. Ideally, you should try and get the ductwork in your home cleaned at least once every five years. However, if you live close to nature or in an area that routinely sees dust storms, cleaning the ducts once every three years is preferable.
Why Is Professional Duct Cleaning Necessary?
There are a couple of reasons why you should not try and clean the ducts on your own. These are:
1. The ducts are usually made of a material that needs gentle handling. Any brut force can cause extensive and expensive damage. Most homeowners are not aware of how much force they can use on the ducts and so we strictly advise them against considering duct cleaning as a DIY activity.
2. The usual household equipment is not enough to pull out the dust, dirt, and debris from deep inside it. With the regular vacuum available at home, you can just do a superficial cleaning.
3. Professional duct cleaners use industrial-grade equipment to clean the ducts. They are well-trained, have the proper equipment and attire, and above all, do a thorough job that leaves nothing to chance. Moreover, their knowledge about the ducts makes them an authority in the field.
Don’t Ignore The Ductwork
The AC ducts may not always be right in front of your eyes, yet they play a pivotal role in your home. Now that you know how important the ducts are in keeping your home comfortable and wholesome, you should not ignore them anymore. It becomes all the more necessary if there are aged parents or small children in your household. If you don’t remember when was the last time the ducts in your home were given a professional cleaning, or if you have recently moved into a new home, its time to do so now.
If you need any expert advice, you can always talk to the air experts at Aztil Air Conditioning. We are open 24/7, so you can call us at any time at +1-888-729-8452. Serving our customers with quality service in respect to their HVAC systems is our only aim. We are looking forward to serving you in any capacity we can.