The efficient performance of your air conditioner depends on its annual maintenance and cleaning to a very large extent. Now, maintenance is something that you cannot do on your own because of its technical nature. However, cleaning your AC is something that almost every homeowner can do. So if you want a clean AC unit and save money as well, here is your DIY guide.
Why Is Cleaning The AC Important?
The AC is running fine, so what if it’s dirty? If you, too, think the same, it is time for you to know some basic facts.
Cleaning the AC ensures that the air quality in your home does not deteriorate. The air filters capture dust and allergens, but if they are not changed or cleaned regularly, they are bound to choke. As a result, they will start trapping moisture, and where there is moisture, there is mold.
Frequently cleaning your AC helps maintain its energy efficiency. When the air filters or any other component of the AC get clogged with impurities, they put the system under stress and make it work that much harder. The harder your unit works, the more power it consumes. So a clean AC unit is a better option any day.
Preparation For Cleaning The AC
Yes, you need to prepare to clean the AC. You can’t simply pick up a brush and give it a good scrubbing. Here are a couple of things that you need to do before beginning the actual clean up.
1. Locate The Instruction Manual And Check Instructions – First, locate the instruction manual that came with your AC and go through it. Inside the manual will be detailed information on how to access the air filters and clean them. It may even have information on cleaning other parts of the AC.
2. Collect All Equipment Needed In One Place – Once you begin the cleaning process, you cannot run back and forth continuously to gather things needed for cleaning. So, make a list of items required and collect them all together so that everything is within easy reach.
3. Wear Protective Gear – The protective gear in this instance would include gloves, goggles, and a mask (if you have dust allergy). Wearing full clothes is also a good idea as this way, the dust, grime, or any other irritants will not find their way on your skin.
Things That You Need To Clean The AC
Here is a list of things that you need to clean the AC:
1. A vacuum cleaner with a long hose.
2. A brush.
3. A couple Of Rags.
4. Warm soapy water.
5. A garbage bag to dispose of the used rags.
Safely Cleaning My AC Unit
To begin with, let’s make one point absolutely clear, you should not do in-depth cleaning of the AC on your own. It is because, due to a lack of training and technical know-how, you can unknowingly do more harm to your unit. The next best thing that you can do is take care of its basic cleaning that is recommended by the manufacturer. Doing so will not put the warranty of your system under jeopardy.
1. Turn Off The Power Supply – You need to first disconnect your AC unit from its power source. Turn off the circuit breaker to the unit, and that should take care of disconnecting it from the power supply. Next, discharge the capacitor as per the instructions given by the manufacturer. The capacitor holds and extra charge, so it needs to be dealt with carefully.
2. Clean Outside Of The Unit First – Before trying to clean the unit inside, you need to first clean its outside. This way, you can ensure that no extra dirt and debris find their way inside when you take off the front cover. Using a soft wet cloth gently rub-down the entire exterior of the unit. Wipe it clean with a dry cloth so that no moisture remains.
3. Clean The Filter – Remove the front cover of the AC unit by unscrewing the plastic screws or pulling it open. There may be a metal grill on the cover, remove it carefully so that you don’t cut yourself on any sharp surface. Now, you should be able to see the filter. If the filter is reusable, remove it and soak it in some warm water with a little detergent or liquid wash. Gently swish it around to release dust and dirt. Using a soft brush, scrub it without using any force. Once done, rinse the filter with clean water and set it aside to dry completely. In case the filter is not reusable, replace it with a new one at least once a month.
4. Clean All Easy To Reach Areas As Recommended By Manufacturer – Reach inside and gently clean the bottom of the unit along with the back cover with a moist rag. The rolls can be cleaned with warm water. Wipe down the fan blades gently, taking care not to bend them. When using a wet rag or warm water for cleaning the blades, cover its electrical components with a dry rag.
5. Reassemble The Unit And Power It Back On – Once you are done with the cleaning, reassemble the unit taking due care to do it correctly and without using brut force. Once done, switch on the circuit breaker, and that’s all there is to it.
Is Professional Cleaning Of The AC Necessary
If you want a clean AC unit, you have to see to its professional cleaning at least once a year. Only a trained technician can give it a thorough cleaning that it requires. The AC consists of many parts, some of which are electrical. Due care needs to be taken while cleaning them as they need special care.
Always Safety First
Whenever you undertake any DIY project, your first concern should always be safety. Only if you are convinced that you can handle the AC cleaning project on your own should you proceed with it. Else call in the professionals. They will give you a spanking clean AC unit without you having to worry about anything.
Aztil AC handles all AC and HVAC related jobs in West Palm Beach, Florida. Our trained technicians take care of everything, from maintenance to repairs and replacements to installations. Give us a call anytime at +1-888-729-8452 if you need any help with your heating and cooling system.