Dampness in the walls or yellowing of the walls around the vents is a sign of leaking vents. For any homeowner, this is a problem that can have grave consequences. It can cause mold formation, algae growth, water puddles that destroy the floor, damage the furniture, and increase indoor humidity. To ...
Today, the options available to a homeowner when it comes to heating and cooling systems are many. If you, too, are considering installing the same, this article is meant just for your eyes. Technology has advanced so much that you don’t really need big and cumbersome equipment anymore. In fact, energy efficiency can be reached with smaller ones as well. One such option is the ductless heating and cooling system. It provides heating and cooling as efficiently as the traditional split ACs and provides more flexibility in maintaining varying degrees of temperature in each section of the house.
What Are Ductless Heating And Cooling Systems?
A ductless heating and cooling system or the ductless heat pump and air conditioner consist of a wall-mounted air handler or the indoor unit. It is combined with an outdoor unit or the compressor via a conduit. Sometimes this system is also referred to as the mini-split system, multi-split systems, or the split-ductless systems.
The ductless units can be installed in old as well as new homes, new construction, condos, and apartments. You can use these to improve temperature control in individual rooms or zones. The ductless systems can also be used in buildings that presently use ducted forced-air systems.
5 Advantages Of Ductless Heating And Cooling Systems
Frankly speaking, the ductless systems are the latest rage with the homeowners and rightly so. Let us have a look at the prime reasons why everybody wants them:
1. Flexibility Of Usage – With multiple air handlers having their own thermostats, homeowners can maintain different zones at different temperatures. Additionally, those rooms or areas of the home that are not always in use can have their air handlers switched off. This way, you can not only maintain the temperature that each member of your family desires in their respective rooms, but you can also cool or heat only those rooms that are in use. Such flexibility of operations is not readily available in the traditional split systems giving the ductless system a definitive edge.
2. Cost Savings – Utility costs have increased everywhere. No country remains untouched. At such times the monthly power bills tend to make a significant dent in your finances. The good news is that the ductless systems use less power to cool your home. They are small in size and still render efficient cooling with lower power consumption, thereby reducing the monthly utility bills. On top of that, the flexibility of operations allowing you to shut down the air handlers in rooms that are not in use provides even greater savings. You are not unnecessarily forced to run the heating and cooling system for the rooms where it is not currently required. Another point of interest for the homeowners is the fact that the ductless heating and cooling systems are cheaper than the traditional split systems. The year you install a ductless system in your home, you are eligible for utility rebates or tax credits even.
3. Lower Carbon Footprint – As mentioned above, the ductless systems provide greater energy efficiency. In fact, they follow the “ENERGY STAR” regulations. It translates to the reality that they are more energy-efficient than the basic standards set by the federal government of the United States Of America. Enhanced efficiency not only saves money, but it also lowers your carbon footprint. Adding to its immense popularity is also the fact that ductless systems gain from the strides made in chemistry and technology to reduce the harmful effects on our environment. The refrigerant used in the ductless systems is R410A, which is safe for the environment as it does not cause the depletion of the ozone layer. So it has a minimal adverse impact on the environment for as long as it is in use.
4. Easy To Install – The only consideration while installing the ductless system is that the air handler should be able to freely throw in the air directly into the room. It should not be placed at the end of a long gallery or a restricted corner. Other than that, you can hide it inside the false ceiling or hang it from there, mount it on the sidewalls, embed it in the flooring, etc. If you compare this to a ducted system, you will realize how precise the process of setting up the ductwork has to be. Add to it the disruption to your daily life that the installation of the ducts causes, and you will realize what a breeze the installation of the ductless system is. Not only is it quick and easy, but also far less invasive, causing no restrictions in your everyday routine.
5. Improve Indoor Air Quality – More often than not, homeowners tend to allow the indoor air quality to deteriorate. So much so that, at times, outdoor air is much healthier than indoor air quality. Installing a good heating and cooling system takes care of this problem by removing the allergens from inside the home and making the air circulating inside healthier. The traditional heating and cooling systems often require professional cleaning of the ducts to maintain clean and hygienic air inside. However, professional cleaning is an additional expense, one you can do without, by installing the ductless system in your home. The ductless systems comprise of a multi-stage filtration system that traps all the allergens and particle matter floating in the air and prevent them from becoming a part of the circulating air.
Food For Thought
The Ductless air conditioning and heating systems are a Godsend in today’s time. A time when the power bills are rising, maintenance costs are increasing, and fulfilling one’s environmental duty is becoming challenging. At such a time, the ductless systems provide not only energy efficiency and customization ability but also helps one fulfill their environmental duty by lowering their carbon footprint. They cater to each individual’s temperature preference and make your home comfortable for all the family members.
If you have any further questions with respect to the heating and cooling systems, feel free to contact AztilAC. We will be glad to be of assistance in any which way we can.
Modern-day air conditioners are not loud anymore. They may not exactly be silent, but other than a gentle hum; you would hardly ever hear another sound coming from it. If, however, you do, it may be alarming and may indicate towards the beginning of some problem. Hence, it is best not to ignore and weird noise emanating from the AC.
Reasons For The Noise
Your air conditioner is but a machinery that consists of many components. With time and constant use, they become loose, fall apart, or develops holes and cracks. These deterioration are the primary cause of air conditioner noises. Most of these sounds can be dealt with during periodic maintenance, but for others, you may need technical repairs. These repairs are best carried out by trained and competent HVAC technicians.
Types Of Air Conditioner Noises And Their Probable Causes
Here is the list of some of the most common sounds that your air conditioner might make along with their probable cause. This information will help narrow down the problem area. We would strictly advise that you only allow a trained professional to corroborate the problem and rectify it as soon as possible.
1. Hissing – Your air conditioner would make a hissing sound when there is a leak of some sort. It could either be a compressor issue, damage to the refrigerant, or the coolant line an internally leaking valve.
2. Banging – If there is a loose, broken, or a hanging part in your air conditioner, it will make a banging noise. Another reason could be that the indoor blower is not correctly aligned. The sound will usually be periodic and constant in nature.
3. Clicking – At start-up and shut down, if you hear clicking sounds, that’s pretty normal. However, if they continue thereafter as well, you have an issue on hand. A defective control, as well as a failing thermostat, will ideally make such noise. Again, this is something that only a trained technician can check and tell.
4. Squealing – Usually, the squealing sound comes from the AC when parts that rub against each other. In some cases, when the fan motor and the blower motor are going bad, you will hear the same sound.
5. Sparking – The sound of sparking is very distinctive. Typically, it is a low-intensity chattering sound that may be accompanied by visible sparks or smoke. Its cause could be overheated parts or loose wires rubbing each other. Sparking should never be taken lightly as it can lead to short-circuits and, in extreme cases, fires.
6. Crackling – An old and aging unit produces crackling noise. These sounds can be heard inside the house when your ductwork is old. If your unit is not old, the reason for the noise could be debris accumulated in the outdoor unit. Such sounds will only be heard when you are outdoors.
7. Groaning – A loud groaning noise whenever the compressor kicks in is indicative of issues with the compressor unit. It could also arise due to a faulty damper. Only an HVAC technician will be able to tell you the exact reason.
Can I Keep My AC Running Even With The Strange Sounds?
Aztil AC recommends that any strange sound coming from your air conditioner should not be taken lightly. At such a time, switch it off and call your local HVAC technician. Not all sounds mean a big problem. But it is always better to err on the side of caution rather than be remorseful later as you cannot determine its true cause. If you still decide to run your air conditioner, you are doing so at your own risk.
What To Do When You Hear Air Conditioner Noises?
Most often, you would want to keep running your AC even when it is making weird noises, especially during the peak of summers. Wanting to do so does not mean that you actually should.
The first thing you should do when you hear any strange noise coming from your AC is to switch it off. Doing so will ensure that the problem does not aggravate. Second, call your HVAC company to send a technician to look into the cause of the issue. Third, once the problem is pinpointed, ask them to make the necessary repairs so that your unit once again starts functioning normally.
Are All Noises An Indication Of Biggers Problems To Come?
No, all air conditioner noises do not mean that your unit is failing. Mostly it will be a lack of periodic maintenance that will be the cause of the strange sounds. So, a regular tune-up of your AC will keep most of them at bay. As a part of maintenance, the loose parts will be tightened, the rubbing components greased or oiled, and all dirt and debris cleaned. Should the reason for the noise be one of these, it will be automatically handled.
If the sound persists in spite of the tune-up, it could be due to a failing component in an aging AC. This is normal, and you can see to the replacement or repair of the faulty component to extend the life of your system. When these problems are ignored and left unattended, they morph into bigger issues. It increases the cost of repairs and, in most unfavorable cases, even results in the system shutting down.
Tips To Reduce Noise Levels
1. See to it that your air conditioner gets annual maintenance from trained technicians.
2. Your unit may have been incorrectly installed in a place where the sound reverberates and seems long drawn out or loud. Hence, ask for a professional opinion.
3. If needed, you can install sound dampers. It is especially helpful in old buildings where the sound echoes and also in air conditioners that are old.
Aztil AC For All Your Air Conditioner Needs
Aztil AC consists of a team of professionals who are dedicated to looking after all your air conditioner needs. In addition to regular tune-up and maintenance, we also install and repair ACs. If you need any such assistance with your air conditioner or HVAC, you can contact us at 888-729-8452.
The air conditioner market has seen a lot many changes in the past few years. Earlier your only option was the window AC, then came the split air conditioners with an indoor and outdoor unit, and then the central heating and cooling systems or the HVAC systems. Even by a long shot, we have still not covered all the possibilities. The market is ripe for more innovations and technological changes. However, the one air conditioner making waves right now is the mini-split system.
What Is A Mini-Split System?
When you need more concentrated cooling in individual rooms or spaces, mini-split systems are your answer. Mini-split systems are primarily made up of two main components. These are:
1. A compressor or condenser that is positioned outside of the house
2. An air-handler unit that is installed indoors.
Both these components are connected to each other through a conduit or a pipe. This conduit consists of the following:
1. Power cable,
2. Condensate drain,
3. Refrigerant or coolant,
4. Suction tubing.
If the number of air-handling units is more, each of them will have a coupled thermostat. Individual thermostats help maintain distinct and desired temperatures in each individual room where the unit is positioned.
Difference Between A traditional Split System And A Mini-Split System
At Aztil AC, we have received many queries regarding mini-split systems from the residents of West Palm Beach, wanting to know how they are different from the traditional split systems.
The traditional split systems used in homes also have an indoor and outdoor unit. But the key differences lie in these two facts:
1. Where the traditional or conventional system occupies a lot of space, the mini-split system being small and more compact does not.
2. The traditional split system relies on ducts to deliver the warm and cool air while the mini-split systems are ductless and throw the air into the room directly.
Advantages Of Mini-Split System
Here are the main advantages of the mini-split system:
1. Improved Heating And Cooling – When each air handler is placed in specific rooms or zones, it makes for improved heating and cooling of those areas. Add to that the fact that you control the temperature of these zones separately, and you have the perfect living environment for the kids, adults, and the elderly. Each can adjust the temperature of their area as per wish and enjoy the comforts of home. You can also switch off the air handler units of those rooms which are not in use. Ultimately, with mini-split systems, you heat or cool only the desired zones and that too at different temperatures ass per the liking of the residents.
2. Flexibility In Placement – Mini-split systems give the flexibility of placement, which is not the case with most add-ons. You can install the air handler in the false ceiling, suspend it from the actual ceiling or affix it on the sidewall depending on the aesthetics of the room.
3. No Need Of Ducts – Mini-split systems are ductless, so they are a perfect fit for heritage homes and buildings. You don’t have to install expensive ductwork, which happens to be difficult for old homes, for being able to live in a temperature-controlled environment.
4. Easy To Install – Since no ductwork is needed, the installation of mini-split systems is hassle-free. It also happens to be less invasive as only an approximately three-inch hole is needed to join the two units via a conduit.
5. Better Energy Efficiency – Mini-split systems give more flexibility to the homeowners in terms of energy efficiency. Since they are ductless, there is no scope of losing warm or cool air through cracks and leaks in the ducts. Similarly, the complete system does not have to run continuously to maintain the temperature. Instead, just turn on the air handlers of those rooms that are in use and reduce your carbon footprint. With limited use of power, even your savings will be more significant.
Disadvantages Of Mini-Split Systems
The typical downsides of a mini-split system are:
1. Costly Installation – Installing a mini-split system is costly. It is more expensive than installing the traditional split system. Many homeowners are put-off by this expense.
2. Improper Placement Can Cause Short Cycling – Though there is flexibility in installing the air handler, yet it needs to be installed in the correct place to prevent short cycling. You need the help of a trained technician to work out the most appropriate location.
3. Aesthetically Unappealing – The presence of the air handler unit cannot be ignored. Even though small, it is still substantive in size and cannot be concealed and may spoil the aesthetics of the room.
Cost Of Installing Mini-Split System In West Palm Beach
A regular HVAC installation by a professional technician costs anywhere between $300 to $1,500. As against this, the mini-split system has multiple air handler units in addition to the outdoor condenser unit. As a result, its cost of installation exceeds $2,000. Add to that the fact that you may need an electrician and a carpenter who will charge $50 to $100 per hour, each.
Life Expectancy Of A Mini-Split System In West Palm Beach
If you take good care of your ductless mini-split system and see to its periodic maintenance, it will last for around 20 years. A conventional heating and cooling system will last for only a period of 10 to 15 years. So, it’s safe to concur that a mini-split system gives a better value for money deal.
Will A Mini-Split System Heat And Cool The Whole House?
Yes, using multiple air handler units, you can effectively maintain the desired temperature in your entire house. On top of that, you also get the flexibility to maintain distinctive temperatures in different rooms.
Aztil AC Your Partner For Mini-Split System In West Palm Beach
Aztil AC is an HVAC company that is a forerunner in all things related to heating and cooling systems. Our technicians are not only well trained but also have extensive knowledge and experience to help you. For any queries and concerns, contact us at 888-729-8452.
Seldom do people realize the importance of air conditioner tune-up. Those who do are happy homeowners who enjoy the comforts of their home throughout the year without any interruptions. While those who don’t, won’t be able to find peace even while at home. The problem lies in the fact that AC tune-up is considered to be a costly and wasteful activity that does not add any value. This is the biggest myth that we aim to bust.
Myth – AC Tune-Up Is A Non-Value Added Activity
AC tune-up is NOT a non-value added activity. If you really want to understand its worth, look up any two people in your group of friends – one who gets periodic AC maintenance done and one who doesn’t. Compare the level of comfort in their homes and also the cost and number of repairs their AC demands. Your friend, who gets his AC checked regularly, year after year, will have a better performing AC that does not need many repairs. Even if it does, their cost is substantially lower than the friends who considers AC tune-up a wasteful activity. Were your ignorant friends to realize the importance of periodic AC tune-up, they would face fewer malfunctions.
Top 10 Reasons To Tune-Up Your Air Conditioner In West Palm Beach
In no particular order, here are the top reasons why you should ensure AC tune-up in West Palm Beach and elsewhere as well.
1. Reclaims Energy Efficiency – The annual AC tune-up helps to reclaim the lost energy efficiency. If facts are to be believed, an AC loses around 5% energy efficiency each year. The figure may not seem much, to begin with, but year after year, it adds up to quite a significant value. However, by then, the damage has already started to the unit, and even regular maintenance may not help you recover most of it. Periodic maintenance from the very first year itself will keep your AC running at optimum efficiency for a very long time.
2. Keeps Warranty Intact – An important term of keeping the warranty intact is annual AC tune-up. Failing to do so will cease the manufacturer’s warranty as you will not be abiding by the terms. The biggest drawback of a void warranty is that you will have to face and bear the expense of any repair that would have otherwise been covered by the manufacturer. If you are desirous of keeping the warranty valid, you will have to ensure your air conditioner’s annual tune-up.
3. Extend The Unit’s Life Expectancy – A well-maintained asset lasts for a very long time. On the other hand, something that is allowed to fall into disrepair will collapse even before its time is up. The maintenance of your AC is like giving it some much needed tender loving care so that it performs optimally year after year. To extend your air conditioner’s useful product life, you have to get is checked every year so that problems can be caught well in time and repaired.
4. Maintains Consistent Cooling – A well maintained AC provides consistent cooling even during the peak of the summer season. While those AC’s that have not seen regular maintenance will not cool your home adequately, fiddling with the thermostat will also not provide much relief. To keep your home sufficiently cool and to ensure that the same temperature is maintained throughout, you need regular AC tune-up.
5. Needs Fewer Repairs – You would have noticed that air conditioners in West Palm Beach that are given periodic tuning need fewer repairs in comparison to those that aren’t. It is because most AC problems are caught at the very onset during the tune-up, and so they don’t escalate to bigger issues. Also, most AC problems arise due to a lack of maintenance. Ensuring that it is carried out periodically will not let most snags appear and hence a less likely chance of any critical repair.
6. Good For Environment – Regular AC tune-up reduces the energy consumption of your unit. It means that you effectively decrease the carbon footprint of your home on the environment. Today, when everyone is trying to do their best in making environmentally conscious decisions, an AC tune-up will allow you to do yours.
7. Financial Savings – When a unit performs efficiently, it consumes less energy. This translates to tremendous savings in your electricity bills. Not only that, but an AC unit that is cared for will not need any major repairs and so you will be saving even more. Tune-up extends your AC’s life as well, and so you can run it far longer and that too with good results. There is no need to buy a new AC or upgrade to a better one while your old one runs efficiently. All in all, the savings are tremendous and roll into a significant figure when combined together.
8. Maintains Air Quality – Sometimes, the air inside the house is not as clean as we assume it to be. It mostly happens when the AC does not get the necessary tuning. Dust, debris, and other allergens accumulate inside the unit and circulate throughout the home, making the air you breathe toxic and unhygienic.
9. Keeps Humidity In Control – A prime function of the air conditioner is to keep humidity in check by extracting moisture from the circulating air. Only an AC that receives regular tune-up will perform this task optimally, providing lasting relief from clamminess. Residents using an air conditioner in West Palm Beach will understand the importance of this aspect the most as humidity is a part of everyday life.
10. No Loud Noises Only A Gentle Hum – Due to a lack of care and maintenance, air conditioners begin making unlikely sounds. Where the sound was earlier a gentle hum, it now becomes a loud and grating sound. Sometimes the sound is intermittent and sometimes long drawn out and continuous. As a part of the tune-up, the components of your AC are cleaned, tightened, and greased. This ensures that your air conditioner does not produce any loud noises.
In The End
If you have any doubts or need any clarifications, the elite team of professionals at Aztil AC is there to help you. We take care of all your air conditioner needs in West Palm Beach. As long as you understand the importance of tune-up in AC and get it done as prescribed, you should be a happy homeowner.
Life was to be easy if everything could be repaired. There would be no need to buy anything new. But alas, that is not how things work, especially electrical equipment. With time, the various parts of the machine suffer wear and tear, and others simply become obsolete because of changing technology. In the end, the only option that remains is to upgrade to something new and more current. The same happens with the air conditioner. To begin with, it runs smoothly. After a few years, small snags and issues appear, which are dealt with. Further on, the technology evolves, something new hits and market, and it becomes difficult to get hold of original spares for your aging AC. In 10 to 12 years, your AC starts demanding more and more repairs, and you figure out its financially more viable to go for an AC replacement rather than another costly repair.
The Problem With Waiting
If you are honest with yourself, your AC sends you reminders of its aging continuously once it hits a decade mark. It remains up to you whether you recognize them or not. Herein lies the root of the problem, for most homeowners don’t accept these signs and simply ignore them. When you do that, a time comes when your AC will just not switch on. The problem with this situation is that buying an AC is not a decision that can be reached in a day. It needs research and due consideration to figure out which AC suits your needs the best. Until you reach that decision, you have to bear the heat and regret overlooking the 5 warning signs that indicate AC replacement in the near future.
5 Warning Signs You Need To Replace Your AC
In our bid to make your work easy, here are the top 5 warning signs that you will often come across when AC replacement is imminent:
1. Increase In Utility Bills – One of the most obvious signs that one cannot ignore is a continuous increase in the utility bills. As your air conditioner becomes old, its efficiency decreases, and it starts using more and more power to deliver the same amount of cooling. Even the periodic maintenance does not help in such times. Your electricity bill will show an enormous figure for no reason. Even your limited use of AC will not render any apparent savings. It’s merely your AC telling you that it has become old and is at the end of its road. If you recognize this sign, you can immediately start researching your options so that when your old AC goes belly up, you can replace it without much ado.
2. Constant And Costly Repairs – Think of your AC as an aging car. To keep the old car running, you will have to keep on top of all the issues that develop in it. You cannot wait for another problem to develop before taking it to the mechanic as it will aggravate and lead to other major issues. Also, the demand for repairs is incessant, and its price high due to the non-availability of authentic parts. This is exactly what happens with your AC. One component after another keeps failing. Getting hold of original parts becomes difficult, and you make do with whatever is available. The reliability of your AC decreases and the cost of repairs keeps on increasing.
3. Loud And Irritating Sounds – When your AC was new, it did not make loud noises that constantly grated on your nerves. However, with time and constant wear and tear, its parts become loose and rough. Some even break, chip off, or even develop cracks. As time passes, the decibel of these sounds increases and also does the variety. You may hear squealing, banging, scraping, and grinding noises continuously or intermittently. The noise becomes especially irritating when you want to rest but are unable to do so because of the cacophony. Oiling and greasing give no respite other than lowering the noise level for a few days until its back to creating a ruckus.
4. Ineffective Cooling – Another hard to ignore sign is diminished cooling. When your cooling system becomes old, its cooling capacity decreases steadily, and one day you realize that you are not comfortable in your own home. The air inside the house feels marginally cool and, in some instances, even warm. Since the system is already old, there is not much you can do to make it perform like new. Old components have to work hard, putting a lot of stress on the AC. The stress may cause overheating of the unit but will not do much for cooling your house more effectively. The only viable solution is the AC replacement.
5. High Humidity – An inherent feature of air conditioners is removing excess moisture from the air during summers. It is this very feature that keeps humidity in check. When the AC starts performing poorly in dehumidifying the air, your home starts feeling uncomfortable and clammy. Aging air conditioners do not deliver well in the humidity control department. They are unable to maintain the optimum level of moisture in the air, and so you land up feeling hot and sweaty even when the AC is running.
Other Signs That You Need An AC Replacement
There are a couple more signs that you should be on the lookout for. These are:
1. The refrigerant keeps on leaking even after sealing the cracks and holes.
2. Your home starts smelling bad, where it used to be pleasant earlier.
3. The thermostat needs constant adjustment, and even then, your home is not cooling as before.
4. The air coming out of the vents is very little.
5. It runs non-stop.
Periodic maintenance sees to it that your AC reaches its useful product life expectancy and even surpasses it. However, at no time will it keep your AC working for your lifetime. There is only so much you can do to get the most out of your investment. After that, it is time for AC replacement. Understanding and accepting the signs of aging in your AC will give you time to plan your finances and buy the most suitable upgrade that will serve you well in the times to come.
Setting the temperature once on your thermostat and forgetting all about it is a mistake that all homeowners should refrain from making. As the outdoor climate changes, you need to make corresponding adjustments to the thermostat to get maximum comfort indoors. Additionally, the thermostat settings govern the energy efficiency of your heating and cooling system. Setting very high temperatures during winters and very low during summers is also an expensive folly as it will raise your power bills. The ideal thermostat setting is that in which you get optimum energy efficiency without compromising your comfort. But for that, one needs to keep adjusting the temperature according to the time of the day and the season.
Thermostat Settings For Ideal Indoor Temperature
There is no single thermostat setting that will help maintain the ideal indoor temperature. Categorically speaking, for your HVAC, there are two main seasons whose effects it tries to nullify inside your home. These are summer and winter. So let us have a look at the most appropriate settings for both.
1. Thermostat Setting For Summers – Summer months are the most demanding for any cooling system, especially the long hot days. Setting your thermostat to 78 degrees Fahrenheit is best for this time. If you plan to be away from home for longer than 4 hours, it is best to adjust the thermostat setting further. When away from home for long-duration, the cooling should commence only when the indoor temperature drops below 88 degrees Fahrenheit. Studies show that in the summer months, for every degree you raise the temperature on your thermostat over 78 degrees Fahrenheit, you can land up saving around 6% to 8% off your energy bill for each degree. So, keeping the temperature slightly elevated is best for your home as well as pockets.
2. Thermostat Setting For Winters – Winter is the time when everybody wants to stay warm without wearing multiple layers of clothing. During the daytime, set the temperature on your thermostat at 68 degrees Fahrenheit. According to a report from the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) consumer resource “Energy Saver” turning down the thermostat setting by 7 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 hours a day will lower your energy bill by 5% to 10% annually. So, what you can do is lower the thermostat at night when you go to bed. You may find using a warm blanket while you sleep gives you a better and more comfortable sleep.
Tips For Adjusting Thermostat Settings
Here are a few tips that will come handy when adjusting the thermostat settings :
1. It’s Ok to turn off your heating and cooling system when you are away from home, and you don’t own any pets or plants. If you do, adjust the settings in the suggested range only.
2. Refrain from lowering the temperature too much in order to cool your home faster.
Tips For Maximizing Energy Efficiency
In addition to adjusting the thermostat settings, here are a few other things you can do to get extra comfort without any extra cost:
1. In summers, use your ceiling fan along with the air conditioner. It will ease the workload on your cooling system and cool your home faster and better.
2. Make sure that your home is properly insulated at all times. Close all open windows and seal the gaps and cracks, if any.
3. In winters, wear a pullover inside the home and use a blanket while sleeping instead of making your heating system overburdened.
Invest In A Programmable Thermostat
There is no one temperature that is perfect for every home. Neither is there a suitable temperature for every moment. The requirement changes from family to family, depending on their routines and lifestyle. Getting a programmable thermostat gives you a chance to feed the most desirable settings for your home. You can even take into account the work hours, school hours, traveling time, etc. and program your thermostat accordingly. There is no need for continuous adjustments. You program it once, and it will take care of maintaining a comfortable environment in your home automatically. Not having a programmable thermostat means that you have no flexibility. Either you make the adjustments every day, or you forgo them entirely. Therefore, it is good to invest in a programmable thermostat and optimize it as per the needs of your family.
Other Methods To Save Energy
Here are a few other ways in which you can save energy:
1. Schedule periodic maintenance of your heating and cooling system so that it works optimally at all times. A well-maintained system consumes less power.
2. Ensure that your home is properly sealed. If not, take remedial action at the earliest possible.
3. Close the vents in the rooms that are not used regularly. Also, make sure that the doors of these rooms, too, remain closed.
4. Most importantly, try to get a good electricity rate. You should not pay more than what you need to.
5. When upgrading to a better heating and cooling system, purchase the one that has a better SEER rating. It will serve you well in the long run.
6. Pay attention to the size of your HVAC unit. Both oversized and undersized unit will increase your utility bills.
The Key To Save Money
Finding the right balance between comfort and utility cost is important. Compromising on one for the sake of the other will not render any savings. The key to maximize your savings is setting the indoor temperature as close as possible to the outdoor temperature. This reduces the work that your unit has to perform and does not put it under any undue stress. A little trial and error will help you discover what thermostat settings work best for your family.
Aztil AC Recommends
Adjusting the thermostat settings for temperature alone is not sufficient to make your living space comfortable. Humidity plays an important role too. Aztil AC recommends not overlooking this important aspect as no temperature is right when the humidity is high. If you still have any questions or queries, feel free to contact us at +1-888-729-8452.
The refrigerant used in air conditioners is of utmost importance as it is responsible for cooling the air. Even today, many air conditioners use the R-22 refrigerant. However, these AC’s are older than 10 years or even more. Another common name with which R-22 is often referred to as “Freon”. EPA or the Environmental Protection Agency has undertaken to phase out R-22 as it is an HCFC or and hydrochlorofluorocarbon, which is a leading source of causing ozone layer depletion.
The Montreal Protocol – Ban On R-22 Refrigerant
The U.S. EPA, along with many other international agencies and environmental protection groups, commenced a phasing out program for the refrigerant R-22. The understanding was reached under an international pact popularly known as the Montreal Protocol. As a part of the protocol, the use of R-22, along with many other HCFCs and CFCs, was to be completely eliminated.
R-22 Phase-Out Timeline
1. 2003 – The phase-out program for the ban on production and import of R-22 began in full earnest.
2. 2010 – Production and import of R-22 were prohibited entirely. One could service equipment only if the banned refrigerant were still available from the old supply. To demand compliance from the public, the refrigerant could only be purchased by a certified technician. Manufacturing and installation of AC’s and heat pumps using R-22 refrigerant became illegal.
3. 2020 – All import and production of R-22 refrigerant will be completely eliminated. Only recycled R-22 could be used for servicing the old air conditioners and heating systems.
The Effect Of Ban On R-22 Refrigerant Prices
The supply and demand laws came into practice with the ban on R-22 refrigerant. Initially, there was an abundant supply, so the price was not very high. As the ban came into practice, the R-22 prices started increasing because there was no new supply. People had to make do with what was already made. Only an EPA certified technician is allowed to buy the banned refrigerant, and so homeowners could no more purchase it. With strict regulations on how the R-22 refrigerant could be recycled, the further price increase was but natural.
How It Affects You?
In today’s date, repair and maintenance of old air conditioners are itself very costly due to non-availability or limited availability of spare parts. Add to that the exponential increase in the cost of recycled R-22 refrigerant; it is no more practical or financially viable to maintain an outdated AC.
The sensible thing to do is to upgrade to an AC that uses current technology. At least you will be able to save on not only energy costs but also get more value for money in terms of its useful product life. At Aztil AC, we strongly recommend the upgrade to escape the expense of maintaining an outdated AC using R-22 refrigerant.
What Refrigerant Does Your AC Use?
If your AC was installed prior to 2010, it is a given that it uses R-22 refrigerant. If you are amongst the lucky ones and your AC was installed after 1 Jan 2010, it is most likely that your AC uses R410a and not the banned R-22. Nonetheless, always check the information instead of assuming. You can easily locate this data on the nameplate of your appliance or in the booklet or instruction manual provided with your appliance. If you are still unable to find this small but valuable piece of information, look it up on Google. You are sure to find all your answers there.
Use Puron instead Of Freon
Using Puron or R410a is a better option than R-22 refrigerant. R410a has a higher safety rating, and it also performs better on energy efficiency. Switching your current equipment from R-22 to R410a is not as easy as it sounds. It is mainly because this switch will render the manufacturer’s warranty null and void. Also, the switch will demand the changing of certain parts to make the equipment compatible with the new refrigerant. If you are willing to introduce these many changes, well and good. But if not, consider buying a new system that does not use R-22 refrigerant.
What To Do If Your AC Uses R-22 Refrigerant?
If your AC uses the banned R-22 refrigerant, you have 3 options at your disposal-
1. Continue using the old AC and pay the hefty price for the repairs, maintenance, and topping up the R-22 refrigerant with the recycled one.
2. Make the switch from R-22 to R410a and also change the necessary parts to make your system compatible. Remember, in doing so, the manufacturer’s warranty will become void.
3. Upgrade to a heating and cooling system that uses current technology as it will automatically not use Freon or R-22.
Can I Still Use R-22 Refrigerant?
Yes, you can still use R-22 refrigerant, but only that which is reclaimed and recycled as per the laws. Also, bear the following points in mind:
1. R-22 is now extremely costly and not half as readily available. You may struggle to find it timely whenever the need arises.
2. Only an EPA certified technician can buy recycled R-22 for your air conditioner.
3. R-22 depletes the ozone layer and is not safe for you, your family, and the environment. Since you live in a society, it is your civic duty to keep your environment safe.
4. Air conditioners using R-22 are old models that have been replaced with more environment-friendly and energy-efficient models.
Does The Law Make It Mandatory To Buy A New System?
The regulation is only on the production and use of R-22. The law does not dictate that you need to buy a new air conditioning unit. You are, therefore, not breaking any laws by continuing to use your old unit. When your AC quits working for good, you will have no other option than upgrading to an environment-friendly and energy-efficient unit. At that time, you will automatically stop using a system that uses R-22.
People using old ACs may find it to be a tough and stressful decision deciding between continuing to use their old AC or upgrading to a better one. No matter what you choose, keep the fact in mind that there are generations yet to live a fruitful life on our beautiful Earth. But, it is possible only if you become environmentally conscious and for once do something good for our planet and not your finances. You will be pleasantly surprised at how the small step will save you tremendously in the coming years, both financially and healthwise.
In American homes, 50% of the energy bill is made up of the heating and cooling costs. When the proportion is so large, wanting to calculate your air conditioning monthly energy cost is but natural. Thanks to the power savings rendered by the modern HVAC systems, the bills are now not as high as they were earlier. But, that does not mean they have become so low that you can completely ignore the heating and cooling costs.
The Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute or the AHRI gave the concept of SEER rating or the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. From a layman point of view, it is sufficient to say that a higher SEER rating means higher savings. SEER is a measure of the seasonal energy efficiency of the air conditioner and the heat pump. Modern HVAC systems have a SEER value between 13 to 21, with 21 being the best.
An AC with a high SEER rating consumes less power to maintain a cozy and comfortable temperature. That is why it costs less to run an HVAC system with a higher SEER rating. With an HVAC system having a SEER rating of 13, you can save nearly 38% of your energy costs, and for a system with 21 SEER, the saving will be as high as 62%.
Here is a chart that better depicts the energy savings with respect to the increasing SEER value:
|SEER Rating||Energy Saving|
You will notice that the jump in energy savings between two consecutive SEER values is not high. But if you skip a few in between, the difference in savings between the two extreme SEER values is quite impressive.
Ideal SEER Rating For Homes
Things like the size of your home, the local climate, condition of the ductwork, and such have a bearing on the overall efficiency of the HVAC system. Most homes will be able to maintain a comfortable atmosphere inside with an HVAC system having a SEER rating of 13 or above. Anything less would mean that you have purchased a technology that is fast getting outdated and obsolete.
Calculating Your Air Conditioning Monthly Energy Cost
There are many online calculators available that will help you calculate your air conditioning monthly energy cost. These calculators figure out the total power consumption of your HVAC and multiply it with the rate per kilowatt-hour for calculating the monthly energy cost.
Terms You Need To Know To Use The Monthly Energy Calculator
If you have no prior technical knowledge using the online monthly energy calculator becomes a little tricky. So we will first spare a few minutes to understand the electrical and power terms that you may come across.
1. Ton – The size or the cooling capacity of an AC is given in tons. In other words, the capacity of an air conditioner refers to the heat that it can remove. The tonnage of the AC is quite prominently displayed on the label.
2. BTU – British Thermal Unit is the same as a ton. If for some reason, you cannot find the AC capacity in tons, the chances are that it will be mentioned in BTU. One BTU is the total energy needed by the AC to cool a pound of water by just one degree Fahrenheit. Now, if the tons is given but not the BTU, you can calculate that by multiplying the tons with 12,000.
3. Kilowatt-Hour – 1,000 watts is equal to 1 kilowatt, and the number of kilowatts used in an hour is the kilowatt-hour. You can find this value in the meter reading and also on the electricity bills.
Hourly Consumption Rates
Along with the SEER rating, the heat capacity of the AC is also given. Both these values are required to calculate the power needs of the AC. Heat capacity is provided in BTU. When you have successfully located both the BTU and The SEER value, divide the BTU by the SEER rating. It will give you the watts that your air conditioner uses in an hour. For example, if your AC has 36,000 BTU and 15 SEER, it will use 2,400 watts in an hour.
Monthly Energy Cost
Now that the hard part is over and you know the hourly energy consumption rate, the rest of the calculation is straightforward. Say you run your AC for 10 hours a day. Multiply the hourly energy consumption rate of 2,400 by 10. Multiply the result by 30, and you will get the monthly energy consumption rate. The calculation will look something like this:
2,400 watts x 10 hours per day = 24,000 watts
24,000 watts x 30 days = 720,000 watts or 720 kilowatt-hour per month
To arrive at the monthly cost, multiply the monthly energy consumption rate with the pricing of your energy company. The value you get is the actual financial implication of running your AC each month in terms of energy consumption.
Air conditioning running costs are a thing of concern for households who want to lower their energy bills. Figuring out how much money you spend on running your AC each month may look like a wasteful activity. But when you do it for a few months, you will get a more in-depth insight into your AC usage. For all you may know, this little activity may help you figure out times when your AC was running unnecessarily and further help you cut your energy bills. Make your home a green home by being conscious of your energy usage.
Aztil AC West Palm Beach
Aztil AC is an elite team of HVAC professionals in West Palm Beach, Florida. We are dedicated to serving you in all things HVAC. Whether it be maintenance, repair, or queries, you can contact us anytime. We provide 24/7 emergency services and can be reached anytime at +1-888-729-8452.
In the cold winter months, you want your home to be nice, warm, and cozy. No wonder, the dependency on the furnace increases. Any problems in the furnace, at such a time, would mean a cold and chilly home. When that happens, you have just two options. One, schedule repairs on your furnace. Two, buy a new furnace. The second option is obviously more expensive than the first one and so less desirable.
Carrying out furnace repairs is also not a thing of a whim. You cannot decide that your furnace needs repair. There are certain signs that your furnace needs to show before you can take that decision. Today, let us have a look at the 5 top signs that your furnace needs repair.
5 Top Sign That Your Furnace Needs Repair
When something is wrong with your furnace here are the top 5 signs that you will notice:
1. No Heating – The biggest set back is felt when your home does not become warm because there is no heating at all. It is a sure shot sign of furnace problems. When you set your smart thermostat to heating, and you feel only cool air coming from the vents, it points to a malfunctioning furnace. Now, the problem could either be in the compressor which heats the air, or it could be the blower motor that pumps the hot air into the rooms through the ductwork. The chances are that you may have scrimped on the annual maintenance of your HVAC and, as a result, missed identifying the problem early on.
2. Slow Heating – If your home is taking more time to heat than before, it could indicate furnace problems. To say that the cause of inefficient heating is a faulty furnace is wrong. It is because improper heating can happen even when the ducts are clogged, or there is a leak in them. It is especially true for old homes, where the ductwork is also old. For newer homes, it is most likely that the culprit is a faulty furnace. The problem could be in the wiring, or maybe the unit is cycling on and off several times such that it is unable to warm the home adequately. In either of these cases, you will have to call for an HVAC technician. Only he can confirm the problem and rectify it.
3. Unpleasant Odors – Your furnace should ideally not emanate any smells. If you smell smoke or burning fuel or gas, the chances of your furnace having developed a fault become rather high. The cause of smell could be anything from simple dust trapped in the unit to something as serious as a gas leak. The first thing to do is to check the carbon monoxide detector, whether it has tripped or not. In some cases, it may even sound an alarm. When the alarm sounds, immediately turn off the furnace and open all the windows for ventilation. Next, place a call to your gas company to switch off the gas supply to your home. Now call the HVAC contractor and ask for immediate rectification or furnace repair.
4. Yellow Pilot Light – Inside the front panel of the furnace is the pilot light. When the furnace is in perfect working order, it is blue in color. However, when gases like carbon monoxide are not able to disperse as they ideally should, its color changes from blue to yellow. Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that can be fatal to the health of your. It also makes your unit highly combustible. Therefore, the yellow light should not be taken lightly. It demands immediate attention and should be attended to posthaste.
5. Persistent Noises – A furnace does not operate silently. Neither does it make loud and persistent sounds. At most, it may operate with a slight to a little strong hum. But, if you hear squealing, whistling, groaning, or banging noises, it indicates loose parts within the furnace. When the problem is in the fan or the belt, you will hear whistling and squealing noises. While if you hear banging or groaning sounds, these may come from some broken or loose parts inside the furnace. Only an HVAC contractor can correctly identify the problem and rectify it.
Other Signs That You May See
A few other signs that you may notice if your furnace is not working properly and needs repair are:
1. You may find that it is difficult to start your heating unit. And sometimes even if you do manage to turn it on, it will switch off quickly.
2. The heating bills will see an unexplainable surge. A steady rise in the utility bills during winters indicates to furnace problems.
3. If there is a water build-up around the furnace, there is a problem. It could happen due to a leak in the condensate drain line or a leak in the humidifier.
Furnace Problems And Air Quality
When the furnace develops any problem and needs repair, the air quality in your home will suffer. A system that lacks maintenance moves dust, dirt, pollen, dander, and bacteria throughout your home along with the heated air. The most obvious sign of that is frequent breathing ailments in the residents or the family members. You will also see suspended particles in the air and accumulated on different surfaces even after regular cleaning. Rectifying the furnace problem could be a simple solution, like changing air filters. At other times it may mean getting your entire ductwork cleaned by professional cleaners.
If you wish to extend the life of your furnace and get more work from it, you have to pay attention to the signs and symptoms that it shows from time to time. Being able to identify a furnace problem at its onset and asking the contractor to carry out repairs is the only way to guarantee its longevity. The quicker a problem is identified and resolved, the less lasting damage the unit suffers. Take more interest in your furnace to know what is normal and what isn’t. Moreover, instead of solving the problem yourself, ask a trained contractor or technician to carry out furnace repairs.
The residents of West Palm Beach, Florida, can breathe easily for Aztil AC is here to serve all your HVAC needs. Our team of trained technicians is the best and will take care of your unit like their own.
Buying or upgrading to an HVAC system is a big decision for all homeowners. Mainly because it is expensive and also because the comfort of your home will depend on it. You wouldn’t, by any chance, want to make a mistake that has a sizeable financial bearing. No matter how daunting the task looks but proper research will direct you in the correct direction and, in this case, the most appropriate HVAC system.
Finding Right Heater And Air Conditioner For Your Home
The plethora of variants available in the market, for HVAC systems, is confusing. Add to that the different brands, and there is a perfect recipe for chaos to reign free. But, worry not, for we bring to you those key factors that you need to consider to find an HVAC system that suits your home.
1. Experienced HVAC Contractor – Even if you found the perfect HVAC system for your home, that’s only half the battle won. What you need to win completely is an experienced HVAC contractor. This contractor will help you figure out the best HVAC system and also help install and maintain it later on. You can go back to them with your queries and concerns during the purchase cycle and also get a few tips from their knowledge and experience. All in all, any decision taken with their help will be more beneficial than depending on your own judgment.
2. Size Matters – Those who said that size does not matter, well, they are equally clueless. The size of your HVAC unit cannot be too big or too small. It has to be exact or nearly exact. A small sized unit will not cool and heat your home efficiently, and an oversized unit will continuously cycle on and off, increasing the gas and electricity bills. Get HVAC sizing done for your home by professionals only. They will not make any mistake in its calculation and tell you the size that meets your requirements.
3. Look For The Features You Want – HVAC systems have a variety of features. You may not need them all. Make a note of all the features that you desire like humidity control, smart thermostat, ability to control temperature settings even while away from home, etc. If possible, make this feature list with the help of an HVAC technician who better understands the uniqueness of your home.
4. Look For Brands That Meet Your Requirement – Now that you know what features you want, look for brands and models that offer them. Different brands may have different combinations of features. Their quality, too, may vary. Gather feedback on each brand online, as well as consult your friends and neighbors. You will now have a more realistic picture of what to expect. We, at Aztil AC, urge our clients to look for quality rather than quantity of features and the physical product. It may not look beautiful, but the quality is good, go for it by all means. After all, it is not going to sit in your face staring at you the whole time. So good looks mean naught.
5. SEER Rating – Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio is the measure of the efficiency of the air conditioners and the heat pumps. A unit that has a higher SEER rating is always better than the one with a lower value. So your HVAC size and features, look for the model that has the highest SEER rating.
6. Price Of The Unit And financing Options – Price plays an important role in the final decision-making process. Although, you shouldn’t base your choice solely on that reason alone. A good HVAC system never does come cheap. Budget yourself accordingly, and when you want to become a scrooge remember, that it is a one-time investment with the right product. Look for financing options also. Many times the dealer themselves may offer them, so don’t forget to enquire.
Other Things To Consider While Purchasing A New HVAC Unit
There are several other factors that you need to consider when buying a new HVAC system. These are:
1. Type Of HVAC System – There are many different types of HVAC systems, like, gas or electricity powered. Some have a heat pump, and others are a combination of an air conditioner and a furnace. Some systems need extensive ductwork, and others are ductless. These are a few things whose pros and cons you need to evaluate carefully. Your HVAC contractor will help assist you to sort through all these options.
2. Budget For Installation Costs – While budgeting to buy an HVAC unit, seldom do we take into account its cost of installation. Your HVAC installation may not be cheap, so refrain from making any assumptions. Again, your HVAC contractor can help you figure out the approximate cost based on your home size and its peculiarities and requirements. Budgeting for installation costs will help manage your finances better.
3. Choosing A Quality Contractor – There are many people who claim to be experts. The key differentiator is that all of them are not licensed, and neither do they have any kind of insurance. Choose a contractor who has both in addition to a good reputation. Choosing the right contractor may take time, so do this exercise before starting the hunt for an HVAC system.
New Year New HVAC System
If your old unit is on the verge of biting the bullet or giving frequent trouble, it’s time to seriously start looking for other options. A decision with significant financial impact cannot be taken in a day or two. So if you get your thoughts sorted now, you can buy it in a month or two.
If you are a resident of West Palm Beach, Florida, and need any help, Aztil AC will be glad to provide it. We can help you choose the best HVAC system for your home and also install it and take care of its periodic maintenance. If the need arises, we will also carry out repairs, though we hope that your new unit does not need it for a really long time.
Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning or the HVAC sounds like a complicated piece of equipment. No matter how complex the name sounds, it is indeed a system that everybody needs if they wish to live in relative comfort. No wonder the sales of HVAC have seen a dramatic increase in the past few years. However, when homeowners are thinking about purchasing it, they normally allot a budget to themselves. It is more to ensure that the expenditure is within limits. But, a common mistake that most of them commit is not taking into account its cost of installation.
Today, in this article, we will address the critical aspect of HVAC installation cost in West Palm Beach, or for that matter, anywhere else in the United States.
What Is HVAC Installation?
HVAC installation consists of setting up a new system to provide heating, cooling, and air filtration along with its cleaning. The installation itself is a big expenditure because it requires extensive planning, preparation, and establishing the system in such a manner that it takes of the entire house. It sounds small but is indeed a big technical feat.
Cost Of HVAC Installation In West Palm Beach
If we put aside the cost of the actual HVAC equipment, here is a breakdown of the installation cost:
1. The average cost to replace an HVAC system – Between $4,500 to $9,500.
2. The average cost of installing a new HVAC system with ductwork – Between $6,500 to $12,500.
3. The average cost of installing an HVAC system with add-ons – Between $13,000 to $ 17,000.
Factors On Which The Cost Of HVAC Installation In West Palm Beach Depends
There are several factors that have a bearing on the final cost of HVAC installation. As a result, there is no, one, fixed price. Let us have a glimpse at these factors in brief.
1. Size Of The Unit And Feature Set – All HVAC units are not the same. They have different capacities as well as a diverse set of features. Based on these two key factors, the installation requirements may also change like additional ducts, smart thermostats, additional vents, need for a humidifier, etc. A larger capacity system with on-board diagnostics will have a higher installation cost as compared to a lower capacity one without any additional paraphernalia. However, just because a bigger HVAC will cost more, don’t make the mistake of purchasing the smaller one. The size of your unit depends on the size of your home. So, prior to making any such decision get your home inspected to find the right size of the system. Usually, an HVAC system of 2 to 5 tonnes will suffice for homes.
2. Difficulty In Installation – If you are simply getting the HVAC unit installed, the cost of installation will be less. But, in case you have to get the ductwork replaced or repaired, the cost will increase. Similarly, if your home is really old, it will require setting up of not just the ducts and registers but also insulation without making a monstrosity of your beautifully aged home. In these cases, the cost of installation is significantly higher because the level of difficulty is more. The simple rule of thumb is that the simpler the installation, the lesser it will cost and vice-versa.
3. Quality Of Work – A lesser-known HVAC contractor with a questionable reputation will do sub-standard work. Therefore, it is necessary that you choose a contractor carefully after checking their reputation in the market. It is necessary that the installation of your HVAC system is done properly to ensure both safety and efficiency. To say the least, don’t fall prey to a low ball figure because it gives more savings. Think of the future problems that poor installation will give and the additional expenditure you will have to bear to rectify them.
How To Get The Best Price For HVAC Installation In West Palm Beach
To get the best price for HVAC installation in West Palm Beach, you need to do proper research. Invite quotes from several contractors. Invite them to inspect your home and give you an approximate figure. As advised above, don’t fall prey to the lowest figure because that is just a scam. Instead, gather feedback about these contractors. Ask your neighbors whom they used and their experience with them. Similarly, if your relatives, friends, or acquaintances live in the same area, consult them. In the end, check the reviews online before making a final call.
You should look for a contractor who has a good reputation in the market and shows good business acumen. Their work ethics should be par excellence and deliver an outstanding experience. A good contractor will be licensed and have insurance. He will also have no problem answering all your questions until you are well and truly satisfied.
Average HVAC Installation Costs in West Palm Beach
Keeping aside the cost of the new HVAC unit, here is the breakdown of the average installation costs in West Palm Beach:
1. Air Conditioning Unit Installation – Between 3,900 to $5,500
2. Furnace Installation – Between $3,000 to $5,000
3. Boiler Installation – Between $4,200 to $6,000
4. Heat-Pump Installation – Between $4,500 to $6,500
5. Thermostat Installation – Between $100 to $300
Remember, these prices are just an approximation and not the actual figure. For the actual figure, you will have to ask the contractor to come and see your house. This will allow them to evaluate the requirements of your home and quote a more realistic figure.
Catering for the installation cost in your budget for an HVAC system will help plan your finances better. It will also be beneficial if you look for a local company that specializes in the residential HVAC system set up. Their knowledge and experience will help you further cut costs. Stay as far as possible from dishonest contractors. Their biggest give is a very low quote. A reputable company will give you estimates in the range mentioned above. It is your home and your HVAC unit, don’t get carried away in trying to save money. Instead, even if it costs more, get it done right the very first time.
You would have often heard homeowners with an HVAC system talk about the “Heat Pump”. In fact, you would have heard about this term even while looking to buy a new HVAC unit for your home. So, what exactly is a heat pump? Well, you are in the right place to get the answer to this question.
What Is A Heat Pump?
A heat pump is a versatile heating and cooling system that transfers heat from one place to another. It can provide both heating and cooling by extracting heat from the surroundings and transferring it to another place. In the cold winter months, this means extricating heat from outside and pushing it indoor to provide a comfortable and warm environment. In the hot summer months, this means isolating the heat from indoors and transferring it outdoors.
Types Off Heat Pump
Now that you know what a heat pump is, it would be right up the alley to know its types. There are two types of heat pumps, these are:
1. Air Source Heat Pump – Air source heat pumps extract the heat present in the air. In winters, it absorbs the heat present in the air outside and disperses it inside. And in summers, it absorbs the heat present in the air inside and disperses it outside.
2. Ground Source Heat Pump – Ground source heat pumps are also known as Geothermal heat pumps. These transfer heat between the ground outside the home and the air indoors.
How Does The Heat Pump Work?
Heat pumps move heat by moving the refrigerant or coolant through an evaporation and condensation cycle. A compressor drives the refrigerant amidst two heat exchange coils. In one coil, the refrigerant gets evaporated at low pressure and soak up the heat from its surroundings. This refrigerant then gets compressed on the way to the second coil. Here it condenses at high pressure. At this time, it dissipates the heat that it absorbed earlier on in the cycle.
An important thing to remember is that a heat pump does not generate heat. It simply moves it from one place to another. Unlike that, a furnace creates heat and then circulates it through the entire home.
Heat pumps are unique because their cycle is fully reversible. Due to this reason, they are successful in providing all-year-round climate control, which is heating and humidification in winter and cooling and dehumidification in summer. The ground and air outside your home will always have some heat. As a result, a heat pump can provide heat to a house even on the coldest winter days. The plain fact is that air at –18°C retains about 85% of the heat it had at 21°C.
Common Examples Of Heat Pump
Refrigerator and air conditioner are both common examples of a heat pump. Though both of them operate in the cooling mode only. The full potential of a heat pump has been realized in the HVAC system only where it caters to all kinds of temperature requirements.
Benefits Of A Heat Pump
There are several key benefits of using heat pumps in homes. The most important ones are:
1. High Efficiency – Today, amongst all the heating and cooling appliances available in the market, heat pumps are known to be most efficient. If you want to increase the savings on your utility bills, the solution is a heat pump.
2. Cost-Effective – A heat pump is any day a cheaper investment than buying an air conditioner and a furnace. Add to that the energy savings rendered by the heat pump, it is any day a wiser investment. When the AC and furnace fail, you have to change to critical appliances. A heat pump, on the other hand, is a single unit and makes for a cost-effective investment.
3. Low Maintenance – The heat pump is a piece of single equipment used in your HVAC system. Since the number of pieces is less, the cost of maintenance is also low. Not only that, but you will have a lesser number of systems in the home that you need to be concerned about maintaining.
4. Use Electricity – The heat pump is driven by electricity. If you reside in an area where the electricity rates are low, you will find it a better option. Add to that the fact, if you make your own solar power, you have the best combination to achieve greater savings by using a heat pump.
5. Efficient Heating At Low Cost – In places with a moderate climate, people don’t usually buy a furnace. So when the weather does get a might chilly, you land up wearing an extra layer of clothing. With a heat pump, you need not worry about additional heating costs because you can achieve the same with no extra expenditure.
When To Buy A Heat Pump?
What is the ideal time for you to buy a heat pump? Here are a few scenarios when you can upgrade to it.
1. If you are planning to buy a new air conditioner, you can consider buying a heat pump instead. It is even more advisable to do that if your furnace is also old and may bite the dust within the next year or two.
2. If you don’t have a furnace and would like to add one or if your existing furnace needs to be replaced. In both these cases, you may upgrade to a heat pump.
3. If you are remodeling your home or adding new areas to it, again, the heat pump is a feasible option.
The heat pump is a godsend opportunity at times when we are piling one equipment over the other. A little simplicity goes a long way in giving you the much-needed peace of mind. With a reversing valve, the heat pump efficiently does away with the need for a separate furnace and air conditioner, making things less complicated.
As a company providing maintenance and troubleshooting services for HVAC systems, Aztil AC strongly recommends using a heat pump instead of the traditional AC and furnace combo. If you still have any queries or concerns, contact us or call at +1-888-729-8452 anytime.
There’s nobody who wants to pay more when you can get the same thing done for a bargain. Nonetheless, remember, there is a fine line between a bargain price and getting scammed. You must have seen really low figures for duct cleaning like $75 and even as high as $800. And the first thought that would have entered your mind would’ve been – Why pay more when you can get it for less?
Be Wry Of Low Ball Figures
The lowball figures are the first sign of a scam. No legit company will charge that low for a work that takes 3 to 4 hours to complete. Many homeowners have fallen prey to such scammers. They quote a very low price to entice the homeowner, then do a rapid job within half an hour to 40 minutes and that too, without any proper equipment. To be quite honest, a DIY air duct cleaning will give you far better results than these unethical duct cleaning companies. In their urgency to finish the job in minimum possible time, you may find out later that your ducts got torn or were never cleaned properly in the first place.
Beware Of The Scams
An air duct cleaning company that is not operating ethically will ideally try to sell you their service with a very low figure cupon. The thing to keep in mind is that they use this coupon as a magnet to entice you and enter your home. As soon as they get down to actual cleaning they will find out other problems that will add to the cost. Applying scare tactics and blowing an issue out of proportion is their usual course of action to make you a victim of their scam.
Some unscrupulous companies may even try to use this opportunity to sell you further services that you may have no need for. Their ultimate aim is to extract as much money as they possibly can from an uninformed homeowner.
How Much Does Duct Cleaning Usually Cost?
If you go by the industry standards, HVAC air ducts cleaning will cost you anywhere between $300 to $500. On average, the cost of cleaning a single duct comes to $35. Usually, a home with central heating and cooling would have at least 10 ducts, so the cost of duct cleaning would be around $350.
Factors On Which The Cost Of Duct Cleaning Depends
There are various factors on which the final cost of duct cleaning depends. These are:
1. The number of ducts in the home.
2. Size of the residence.
3. Configuration of the ductwork.
4. The number of furnaces in your home.
5. Ease of access to your HVAC system.
6. Presence of mold in the ducts.
Difference Between A Legit Job And A Contractor Out To Scam You
1. Attention To Safety – A legitimate contractor will pay full attention to the safety standards while a scammer will try to get away with the basics. They don’t really care about their own safety or that of the homeowner.
2. Outdoor Vented Equipment – A legitimate duct cleaning company, uses truck-mounted and high-powered vacuum cleaner. They access the ducts and capture all the dust and debris outside the home so that none of it is released inside. A contractor out to fool you will care notch about the unwanted particles that they release into your home. They don’t have specialized equipment and make do with the regular vacuum cleaner.
3. Thoroughness Of Job – As already stated above, a thorough air duct cleaning job cannot be accomplished in a matter of a few minutes. It may take as long as 3 hours or more. A contractor who performs the job within an hour should raise your red flag. The job they perform will be sub-standard and leave much to be desired. In fact, don’t be too surprised to find out that they just did a superficial cleaning and nothing else.
How Not To Get Scammed
There are a few red flags that you should always look out for. These are:
1. A Very Low Figure – As mentioned already, the job is time-consuming when done thoroughly and with proper care. In no way can it come cheap. That will happen only when someone is trying to take you for a ride.
2. Talk Of Mold – If your AC contractor starts talking about mold infestation in your ducts when there are no obvious signs of water leakage, you better be on guard. Without moisture, there can be no mold growth. On top of that, every mold is not a problem; only certain types are. If there are such mold formations, you need the advice of an expert who deals in such infestations. An air duct cleaning contractor is definitely not that expert.
3. Ask For A Written Checklist – A contractor who has half baked knowledge will never volunteer a written checklist of the tasks that they plan to accomplish through air ducts cleaning. And when you ask for it, they will try to confuse you with words. Come what may, a written checklist is a must-have so that you can guarantee that all the said tasks were completed.
4. License – Unfortunately, not all states have made it mandatory to get the air duct cleaners licensed. However, in some states, it is needed. Florida happens to be one state in which the duct cleaners are required to be licensed by the Department of Business & Professional Regulation or DBPR. So, if you happen to reside in Florida, ask your contractor for a copy of his license.
Words Of Wisdom
Air duct cleaning is a necessary evil to maintain air quality and hygiene in your home. Needless to say, not everyone is geared to do it on their own, and that is why there are professional duct cleaners to handle the job for you. It would be best if you look for an air duct cleaning contractor with a good reputation who is willing to answer all your queries. Don’t get fooled by low costs and sweet words. Choose wisely.
Cleaning the air ducts brings a dramatic change in the quality of air inside your home. More and more American households are now coming around to accepting its importance. At the same time, many homeowners wonder whether it is something they can do on their own or require professional duct cleaning services. Today, we will address all your concerns about DIY duct cleaning, how to actually do it, what to expect, and whether you really need the professionals for it.
Why Clean The Ducts?
Air ducts force air into your rooms. When the ducts are dirty, the air passing through them picks up all the unwanted elements as well and pushes them into your living environment. Keeping the ducts clean ensures that the air blowing through them is also clean and healthy.
Before You Begin – What To Expect
It’s good to know a few things before you decide to clean the air ducts on your own.
1. It Isn’t Easy, And There’s No Short Cut – If you were thinking its a few minutes job, you were wrong. It takes time and patience. If you are not used to doing such jobs, it may even prove to be difficult.
2. You Can Find Anything And Everything In The Ducts – From mold and mildew to dead critters and their homes, you can find anything in the ducts. If you are squeamish or faint of heart, it’s not something you can accomplish by yourself.
3. You, Will, Have Cleaner Ducts – At the end of the day, your ducts will be cleaner than what they would have been without you cleaning them. How much cleaner depends on your efforts and how far you were able to clean.
4. Ducts Not As Clean As Professional Can Achieve – Since you will be using regular household equipment, the ducts will be clean but not as much as a professional cleaner can achieve. Professional duct cleaning companies have access to high-powered vacuum cleaners, and so they are able to do a better job.
DIY Duct Cleaning
Tools That You Will Need
Let’s begin with the list of tools that will need to do a thorough duct cleaning job.
1. Dust mask, heavy-duty gloves, and goggles.
2. Screwdriver to expose the ducts.
3. A vacuum cleaner with a long hose.
4. Rags and paper towels.
5. A brush having a long handle and stiff bristles and a broom.
DIY Duct Cleaning Guide
Step 1 – Begin by turning off the power supply to the HVAC unit.
Step 2 – Using the long handle brush or broom sweep out the supply air registers and the return air registers.
Step 3 – Unscrew the air duct covers to expose the ducts for cleaning.
Step 4 – Using a brush, clean the grates, and wipe them clean with a wet rag.
Step 5 – Using a vacuum cleaner, suck out all the dust and grime. Insert the hose as far as it goes into the ducts for maximizing the clean area. The longer the hose, the farther it will reach into the ducts.
Step 6 – Remove the panels on the front of the furnace to expose the blower compartment. Using the vacuum cleaner clean it out and brush the fan to loosen the dirt. Wipe the fan clean and replace the panels.
Step 7 – Clean the grilles and registers before screwing them back on and closing the open end of the ducts.
Step 8 – After the cleanup, replace the air filter so that the air flows freely without any restrictions.
Sounds simple? Well, it really isn’t so. It is a time-consuming job and involves constant brushing and wiping in addition to vacuuming. There is dust flying around you, so an area you just cleaned may land up getting dirty all over again. If your grilles have been closed for a really long time, as soon as you open them, particle matter may fall. All in all, it’s a dirty job, and you should be prepared to handle it all.
DIY Duct Cleaning Risks
1. Cleaning Leaves Much To Be Desired – DIY cleaning is seldom up to scratch. It happens because of a lack of proper equipment. Usually, homeowners don’t have access to high-powered vacuum cleaners with very long hoses. The result is that a regular vacuum cleaner is unable to completely suction out the dust and debris in the ductwork due to a lack of power and reach.
2. Damage To Ducts – There is always a risk of tearing the ducts involved. In your enthusiasm, you may forget to be gentle with the ductwork while cleaning it. Any tear in the ductwork means a reduction in airflow and added headache as it reduces the cooling and heating efficiency of your HVAC system.
DIY Duct Cleaning Vs. Professional Duct Cleaning
DIY duct cleaning will surely save you a few dollars and reduces your dependency on others. You can do it whenever you want and don’t have to wait for an appointment. Having said that, if you want a thorough cleaning of the ductwork, you will need professional help. The professional duct cleaners have not just the appropriate equipment to clean but also the skill to do a full and in-depth cleaning. The work accomplished by them will be far superior to what you can do yourself. Furthermore, the professionals have the knowledge to look for leaks in the ducts and seal them. They can recognize the different types of mold and get rid of them effectively.
Clearly, professional duct cleaning is always a better option. In the interim, you can adopt a DIY duct cleaning routine to tide you over when you feel that the ducts have become dirty far quicker than you anticipated. Depending wholly and solely on DIY cleaning is not appropriate. Since your ultimate aim is to breathe in clean air, it is best to get the ducts professionally cleaned at least once a year. Get quotes from a couple of AC service companies that specialize in this work and check their reviews. If all sounds good, you can sit back and let someone else take care of all the dirty work.
Indoor air quality is often a thing of grave concern. Since the air inside the home is the same that you breathe in, the quality of air has a major bearing on your health. We are so concerned about the poor quality of the air outside that more often than not, we forget about the quality of air indoors. Nonetheless, thanks to raising awareness, most homeowners are now concerned about improving and maintaining the quality of indoor air.
Effective Ways To Improve Indoor Air Quality
1. Install A Good HVAC System Professionally – A professionally installed, properly sized, and a trusted brand HVAC system is highly effective in controlling the entry of pollutants from outside. The filters ensure that allergens and contaminants do not find their way indoors. Also, filtered fresh air from outside dilutes the air present inside and reduces the concentration of unwanted particles.
2. Frequently Change The Air Filters – Air filters trap the contaminants and restrict their entry into the circulating air. To maintain their effectiveness, the air filters should be changed regularly. Replace the old filters with one that is recommended by your AC manufacturer and has the highest permissible MERV rating.
3. Use Air Purifying Potted Plants Indoors – There are many plants that thrive indoors and, at the same time, act as air purifiers. The most popular and readily available ones are aloe vera, snake plant, spider plant, lady palm, etc. Indoor plants not only add color to the surroundings but also look aesthetically beautiful in addition to their air cleansing properties. Place these plants in all your rooms and expose them to sunlight intermittently so that they stay healthy and make your living environment better.
4. Professional Cleaning Of Carpets And All Upholstery – Most germs reside in the carpets and cling to the sofa fabric and curtains. It is imperative to get all your upholstery and carpets properly cleaned by the professional cleaners. Washing them at home, on your own, may not deliver as effective results as professional cleaning.
5. Professional Cleaning Of Air Ducts – Another area of the home that suffers neglect are the air ducts. They are often the dirtiest place due to inaccessibility. The ducts are long networks of pipe running through every room. You need an extremely high-powered vacuum cleaner to suck out all the dust, dirt and allergen that reside inside it. Since a regular household vacuum cleaner cannot do that job, you need professional help in addressing this issue. There are many HVAC companies that provide duct cleaning as a part of indoor air quality service in West Palm Beach.
6. Fix The Leaks – Leaks cause water puddles and dampness inside the home. Where there is dampness, mold and mildew formation is a given. Mold spores tend to spread through the circulating air and give birth to new colonies. These spores can cause skin irritation as well as breathing problems. Overall, a home that has mold spores in the air has poor air quality. To get rid of mold, you need to clean up its infestation and fix all sources of a leak. It means fixing the plumbing problems and a tune-up of the HVAC to ensure no frozen coils and leaks through the drip pan.
7. No Smoking Indoors – Nobody should smoke indoors. Homes that have a cigar and cigarette smoke present in the air suffer from poor air quality. Everybody knows that cigarette smoking is injurious to health, and so is passive smoking. If you smoke inside your home, the circulating air picks it up keeps circulating it back and forth. It is like continuous passive smoking without your knowledge.
8. Proper Humidity Levels – When the humidity levels are high, there is a proliferation of mold and dust mites. Most modern-day HVAC systems have humidity control. However, you should know what the proper humidity level should be in each season to adjust it. Your HVAC company can give you this little tidbit of information. In case you have an older HVAC unit, you can buy a humidifier or dehumidifier for your home separately and set it up with your furnace. It will help control the indoor air quality of your West Palm Beach home.
9. Brush You Pets Outdoors – Pet hair and dead skin cells often deteriorate the quality of indoor air. A healthy practice is to keep your pets clean and brush them often and that too outdoors. Vacuum the carpets and other areas of the home to catch all stray dander.
10. Ventilate Your Home – Fresh air can do wonders for the quality of air inside your house. It helps get rid of stagnant air and brings in fresh, clean air from outside. In case you live in a city, try ventilating your home either early in the morning or late in the evening. At these times, the traffic is less, so the probability of bringing in more polluted air is greatly diminished.
Other Tips To Improve Indoor Air Quality And Curb Allergies
1. Carry out annual maintenance of your HVAC system to keep it spick and span and in perfect working order.
2. Limit the use of aerosols in your home. They add to the suspended impurities indoors and make the air quality bad.
3. Use paints that don’t have any scent.
4. Plants more trees and plants outside in the front lawn and backyard.
5. Refrain from using the HVAC when your home is under maintenance or any form of construction.
6. Use air purifiers.
Indoor Air Quality Service West Palm Beach
Monitoring the indoor air quality and improving it is paramount to the good health of your family. Thankfully, there are so many things that you can do without making any drastic changes to your way of life.
Aztil Air Conditioning provides a variety of services that help improve and maintain the indoor air quality of your West Palm Beach home. If you need any help or assistance or have any queries, feel free to contact us anytime. We provide 24/7 emergency services so that your comfort is never disturbed.
Have you ever thought of your air conditioner duct cleaning? If not, it’s time to do so now. Most Americans think of it as an unnecessary expenditure. You are no different in that regard because it is the popular thinking. The importance of air conditioner duct cleaning has taken a backseat because of a lack of awareness about its adverse consequences.
Before we begin, let me give you a small tidbit of information. Are you aware that a single duct cleaning service helps to get rid of approximately 6 pounds of dust and debris per home? No. Well, now you have something to think about in terms of the cleanliness of your home.
Air Conditioner Duct Cleaning – What Is It?
The process of clearing out the dust and debris trapped in the air ducts, grilles, and registers is called duct cleaning. As the ducts are in the attic and behind the walls, cleaning them needs professional help. You cannot do it on your own. The most efficient way of cleaning them is with a high-powered vacuum and compression system.
When To Get The Air Ducts Cleaned?
Ideally, air duct cleaning should be done annually. However, you should also get it done if:
1. You have pets at home.
2. Seen signs of rodents, pests, or critter infestation. In such a case, you should get it done at least twice a year.
3. You have recently renovated or upgraded your current home. Air duct cleaning will help get rid of all the dust that has found its way inside your otherwise clean house.
4. You have come across signs of mold and mildew in your home.
Importance Of Air Conditioner Air Duct Cleaning
If you have so far not thought of getting the air conditioner ducts cleaned, now is the time to do so. Here are some benefits of a duct cleaning:
1. Improves Air Quality – The indoor air quality suffers the most when the air conditioner ducts are not cleaned. Air ducts house dust, dander, allergens, and other microbes and irritants that find their way regularly into the air circulating in your home. The air that circulates inside is the same that you breathe. Clean air passing through the ducts picks up these impurities and becomes dirty. Often it causes health issues like skin allergies and breathing troubles. To keep the indoor air quality good, you should get the air conditioner duct cleaning done by professionals.
2. Protects The Heating And Cooling System – If the ventilation system is dirty, your AC unit is also bound to get dirty. Primarily, dust accumulation occurs over the coils and the blower motor. As a result, the AC is put under tremendous stress and has to work longer and harder to render the necessary cooling. An AC that works under stress tends to heat up and develop related issues. If you want to protect the heating and cooling system of your home, professional duct cleaning is your only answer.
3. Enhances Energy Efficiency – Any accumulations inside the duct system restricts the free flow of air. More often than not, the real culprit is dust and dander. When the air ducts are clogged, the AC is unable to perform optimally. It consumes more power because of which your energy bills increase. To maintain the energy efficiency of your air conditioner, you have to get the air ducts cleaned regularly.
4. Removes Odors – Almost all homes have a smell unique to them. Sometimes it is fragrant and pleasant and sometimes stale and repulsive. The things that add to the odor in the home are paint fumes, food, pets, mold, cigarette smoke, and such. These smells get trapped in the dust particles inside the duct and keep circulating back inside the home, along with the air that blows over them. The ideal way to get rid of these odors is air conditioner duct cleaning.
5. Cleaner Living Environment – Getting rid of all dust and other irritants trapped anywhere inside the home makes for a cleaner living environment. The ducts are often the dirtiest places in a home with central heating and cooling. Circulating air keeps picking up these unwanted impurities and depositing them on surfaces, walls, upholstery, etc., making them dirty. A clean living environment is possible only if the house is cleaned regularly, along with its ductwork.
Choosing A Professional Duct Cleaning Company
Duct cleaning is a skilled work that requires not just expertise but also special equipment. Not everyone is in possession of these qualities. When you are choosing a duct cleaning company, make sure that they have a truck-mounted and high-powered vacuum and compression system. Having this system is not enough. You need to further check that it is certified by NADCA or the National Air Duct Association. A company that meets these two requirements is the ideal candidate for handling the job of air conditioner duct cleaning in your home.
Some duct cleaning companies tend to propose the application of a chemical biocide inside the ducts to kills germs and bacteria and prevent their future growth. They may also want to apply a “sealant” to prevent the particle matter from being released into the air. Prior to taking any decision in this regard, you need to fully comprehend its pros and cons. As of today, EPA has no registered chemical biocides for application in the air ducts.
Preventing Dust From Entering The Ducts
Here are a few things that you can do to limit the dust inside the ducts:
1. Change the air filters regularly. Please don’t wait for them to become clogged.
2. Use the air filter with the highest efficiency as recommended by the manufacturer of your AC.
3. If your home is under renovation, close the grilles and registers and refrain from operating the AC until the work is complete and the home thoroughly cleaned.
4. Brush your pets often outside so that they don’t shed inside.
5. Maintain the correct humidity level inside your home.
Cleaning the air ducts at least once a year is ideal. However, the cleanliness and hygiene of your home do not depend solely on duct cleaning. To keep your home spick and span, you have to vacuum it regularly, dust all surfaces, and air out the carpets and rugs. Together these practices will make your residence a happy and healthy place to live in.
Florida summers are very hot and sultry. Living in a home without AC during this time is unthinkable. In West Palm Beach alone, the major contributor to the residential electricity bill is the air conditioner. To keep the utility bills low and the equipment working efficiently, it needs to be cleaned and serviced regularly. Some homeowners deem AC maintenance or tune-up a waste of time and money. But their tales of woe concerning their AC’s performance during the peak of summers have them repenting their decision. A unit that is not well cared for can become a pain in the long run. It is precisely for this reason that annual AC tune-up has become a necessity everywhere, including West Palm Beach.
Think Of Your AC As A Car
Every year you get the servicing of your car done so that it runs smoothly year after year. The tires are changed when they wear out, and oil levels are kept up to the mark, etc. Taking care of your car ensures that it will not breakdown in the middle of the road. Your AC demands the same attention. Inside your home, the air conditioner is one appliance that works non-stop to keep your home at a comfortable temperature. A device that runs continuously, even more than your car, needs to be given some TLC. Since the AC is a machine, the TLC comes in the form of an annual tune-up. So next time when you want to save a few dollars on AC maintenance, think whether you will overlook the servicing of your car as well.
Importance Of Annual AC Tune-Up
Annual AC tune-up is by no means a waste of money. It is a mandate of time. If you look after your AC, your home will be most comfortable even in the peak of summers. Here are a few reasons that validate the importance of AC tune-up in West Palm Beach.
1. Prevent Breakdowns By Catching Problems Early – Any problem in the AC usually starts small. If it goes unnoticed for an extended period, either other issues develop or the same problem increases, so much so that, the AC shuts down. Annual tune-up brings to light most of the minor problems that can arise in the AC. As a part of the maintenance schedule, they get addressed at the same time and prevent any major malfunctions or breakdowns. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that annual maintenance keeps your AC reliable and working efficiently. You don’t have to worry about when it will shut down.
2. Save Unwarranted Expenses – An AC that works optimally consumes less power and gas, keeping the utility bills low. Similarly, catching problems at their very onset keeps the repair bills to the barest minimum. On the flip side, an AC that is allowed to run without proper servicing drastically increases the utility bills and breaks down often. If you want to keep your overhead expenses low, spending a few dollars on AC maintenance is sure to benefit you.
3. Improve Comfort Inside The Home – When the AC runs efficiently, it cools your home most effectively. You don’t feel uncomfortable even during the hottest hours of the day. The AC also helps in maintaining adequate humidity levels to keep clamminess in check. During the hot summer months and the cold winter months, your home is the most desirable place, thanks to the central AC. While, if your AC is not operating optimally, maintaining the temperature inside the house becomes difficult. Temperature variations occur, there are hot and cold areas inside, humidity becomes unbearable, and so on. AC tune-up takes care of all these minor issues and keeps you and your home happy.
4. Extend The Life Of Your AC – The way car servicing extends the life of your car; similarly, an annual tune-up of your West Palm Beach AC, extends its useful, productive life. An air conditioner that is not tuned-up annually will fall into disrepair and breakdown permanently. Buying a new one is a costly affair because it’s not just the cost of the product that you have to take into account, but its installation as well. It is an expense you would want to keep at bay for as long as possible. The cost of AC maintenance is meager as compared to the price of a brand new air conditioner. It is up to you to make the right decision for the well being of your AC, which is the annual AC tune-up.
What Includes AC tune-up West Palm Beach
1. Cleaning the evaporator coil and condenser coil.
2. Changing the air filter.
3. Checking the refrigerant level and topping it if necessary.
4. Lubricating the motor along with the bearings.
5. Cleaning the blower and its adjustment if needed.
6. Checking the drip pan and drain line. Sealing leaks, if any, and removing blockages.
7. Testing of all electrical connections.
8. Checking the thermostat settings and recalibrating it if necessary.
9. Checking the blower motor, condenser fan, and compressor for voltage and amp.
10. Testing the capacitors and the cooling capacity of the AC.
The Best Time For AC Tune-Up Is Spring
The ideal time for AC tune-up in West Palm Beach is spring, right before the summer sets in. At Aztil Air Conditioning, we advise our customers to schedule the maintenance of their AC during the end of spring season or early summers. AC maintenance at this time means that your AC will work well during the peak season.
A timely tune-up guarantees that the AC will give a hassle-free performance at all times. It would be best if you were attentive to the needs of your air conditioner, and maintenance is all that it needs.
Call The Professionals
AC tune-up should always be done by HVAC professionals. They are the experts in the field and trained to handle the job efficiently. They ensure a job well done and also comply with all the safety standards. For AC tune-up in West Palm Beach, look up Aztil AC. We provide 24/7 emergency AC services so that your comfort is not compromised.
The importance of air conditioner is realized in the peak of summers when your AC refuses to work or develops a snag. Even worse is being told that the problem has occurred because of a lack of proper installation of air conditioning unit. Now, that excuse may sound silly, but indeed it is a very valid reason. Since Aztil Air Conditioning believes in making its audience and clients know about every aspect of HVAC, we will take this opportunity to educate you about the importance of proper AC installation in West Palm Beach.
Advantages Of AC Installation By Skilled Technicians
There are many things that need to be kept in mind while installing your AC unit. Only a professional AC technician will be aware of these important points. For example:
1. The wall should be strong enough to hold the indoor unit.
2. Care should be taken to ensure proper spacing between the indoor unit and the wall.
3. The tilt angle of the indoor unit needs to be just right.
4. The outdoor unit should be placed on level ground.
5. Distance between indoor and outdoor unit needs to be appropriate.
A person who claims himself to be a technician, but is not trained will not pay attention to these fine points. The primary benefit of using a trained technician for AC installation is that he will be attentive towards these things. Taking necessary action to ensure perfect installation is necessary for the smooth running of your AC.
Purchasing An AC That Best Meets Your Requirements
There are many AC brands available in the market. Some are a perfect fit for your home and budget, while others are not. Figuring out which AC meets your requirements is difficult on your own. It is because of your limited knowledge. Employing a professional HVAC company to assist you in making such critical decisions works to your advantage. Their skilled knowledge, together with the years of experience in the industry gives you a better chance of making a judicious purchase decision. With their assistance, you can buy an AC that fits your budget.
Correct Size Very Important
The size of the AC is an essential consideration of which a homeowner knows very little. What you need to know that a small-sized AC will be working overtime to provide the requisite cooling while a large AC will be constantly short-cycling. Neither situation is ideal as it raises your monthly utility bills. What you need is the most appropriate size AC for your residence. It will guarantee optimum efficiency and keep your overheads low.
A professional AC technician can best tell you the ideal size of the air conditioner for your home. Using the services of an AC installation company in West Palm Beach will always benefit you. They can not only handle all your queries but will also give you the best possible advice.
A Job Well Done
Living under stress and constantly worrying about things is bound to raise your blood pressure. Employing a professional to install your AC gives you peace of mind. You needn’t worry about sub-standard work and question the safety of the equipment as well as the members of your family. A professional company sees to it that all its employees work ethically, responsibly, and are safety conscious.
No air conditioning system is zero maintenance. Taking care during its installation puts an end to half the problems. The other half is related to maintenance. A professional who installs your AC is already aware of the system as well as your home requirements. Being pre-informed about these aspects, he already knows which areas need special attention. You can easily avoid most problems that may occur in the future due to irregular or lack of maintenance with a competent HVAC company. They will remind you when the maintenance is about to become due and also send you other useful information that will help extend the life of your AC.
Most US homes have air conditioners. Some installed by professionals and others claiming to be professionals. If for any reason, you feel doubtful about the equipment or the service rendered, you can get your air conditioner inspected. Ideally, it would help if you got it inspected twice a year. Once in spring, when the warm weather is beginning to settle in and the other in fall before the winter comes knocking. These two times are those when your AC is not working overtime to cool or warm your home. If there are any issues, they can be addressed well in time before the AC is put to heavy use.
The Risk Of Improper Installation
There is always a probability of improper AC installation even in West Palm Beach. It may happen because you decide to do it on your own or looking for a cheap technician. If the AC installation is not done correctly, there are many things that could go wrong. A few of them are:
1. Your house does not cool evenly.
2. The AC breaks down often.
3. Your house starts smelling.
4. The AC makes a lot of noise when it operates.
5. There are pressure differences in your home.
6. Dust particles remain suspended in the air.
7. Mold and mildew formation occurs.
AC Installation West Palm Beach
The AC installation is complete only when the homeowner is completely satisfied. A professional technician should explain the entire system to the homeowner right from starting the AC to its actual operation to shutting it off. The other things that the technician should tell you about are adjusting the thermostat, the desired humidity levels, DIY procedures for basic maintenance, everyday AC problems that you may face and their solution, etc. Once they have imparted this knowledge and you are confident to run the AC on your own, the installation procedure is actually complete.
Aztil Air Conditioning provides AC installation services in West Palm Beach. We also take care of all the issues that you may be facing with your current unit. Feel free to contact us anytime for an appointment. We provide 24/7 emergency services, for we care about your comfort.
On a day when the sun is at its full glory, you come back home expecting to relax in the cool air of your air conditioner. Instead, what you get is a blast of cool air followed by an odor that smells like dirty socks or rotten eggs. How disgusting is that? Repulsive enough to want to take some action to get rid of it immediately. The best course of action is to find out its source and address the problem at its very root so that it does not happen again. Here is some information that you will find useful in understanding why your air conditioner smells bad.
7 Reasons Why Your Air Conditioner Smells Bad
You will be surprised that most dirty smells of AC arise from very basic problems that can ideally be addressed through air conditioner servicing. Here is a list of most prominent causes:
1. Mold And Mildew – When the humidity is high, it is normal to see mold and mildew formations. Sometimes it is so excessive that the spores start traversing through the HVAC system. At times, the air flowing over its colonies picks up its musty smell and spreads it throughout the house, making it smell unpleasant. To fix this problem, you need to lower the humidity to an acceptable level. Improve your drainage system, fix all sources of a water leak, replace the air filters, cover all exposed earth, and schedule AC maintenance from a reputable company that renders air conditioning services. You can also use a dehumidifier to limit future occurrences. The best humidifier is one that dehumidifies your entire home and not just a local area or a specific room.
2. Stinky Feet Or Dirty Socks Smell – This is the foulest and most sickening smell that can make one really mad. However, its cause is merely stagnant water in the drain pan or drip line, and excessively dirty evaporator coils. The only solution is to get a professional cleaning done by a good air conditioning services company.
3. Rotting Carcass Smell – Critters often find a way inside the HVAC system. They even make homes in the ductwork. Often they die inside. When that happens, you experience the rotten carcass smell. It may even smell like a filled trash can. The first thing you need to do under these circumstances is to switch off the AC and open the windows to ventilate your home with fresh air. Once that is done, call your local HVAC company for professional help. Next, on the agenda should be to call your local pest management company to get rid of pests and critters residing in your home.
4. Rotten Egg Smell – Natural gas on its own has no odor. A chemical is added to it for the smell. This chemical is called “Mercaptan”, and it smells like rotten eggs. So when you smell something so distinctive, and there are no actual rotten eggs in your home, beware of a gas leak. Your HVAC system may have picked up the smell and is circulating it through the home. When you smell this foul odor, immediately switch off all your electrical appliances. Refrain from using any matches or lighters and put out all flames. Open all doors and windows and completely turn off the gas supply to your home. Vacate your home and give a call to your gas company to check the source of the leak and seal it. Once that is done, your gas company will turn the gas back on.
5. Burning Smell – If there is a burning smell inside your home, it means that something is either burning or overheating. It may be a mechanical issue or wiring issue. It might also be because of an overheated motor or a short circuit somewhere in the HVAC unit. Yet, that is not all. Your HVAC system may have picked up the burning odor from elsewhere and transported it to your home. Since you do not know the concrete cause of the burning smell, your best option is to switch off the air conditioner and vacate the home. Next, call the fire department and your local air conditioning services provider for further assistance.
6. Cigarette Smoke – You may have noticed different smoking zones and no-smoking areas in public places. Usually, the no-smoking areas will not have air conditioning. This is because when there is no AC in the smoking areas, there is no chance of air from this area being picked by the central AC and circulated in the no-smoking areas. The same logic applies to your home. If a member smokes inside the home, the smell of burning cigarettes gets trapped in the filter as well as the evaporator coil. When your AC works, it picks up this odor and spreads it throughout the home. Changing the air filters often helps in diminishing its occurrence. Also, smoke if you must, do it outdoors and not inside. A professional cleaning will help get rid of old trapped cigarette smells.
7. Sewage Smells – The plumbing of your home has P-traps. These traps usually hold fluids and prevent sewer gases from backing into your home. When these P-traps run dry, the sewer gases find their way into your abode. In case you have washrooms that are not in use often, run water in sinks and bathtub at least once a month. If the problem is not dry P-traps, it could be that there is a blockage in the sewer line or a sewer vent pipe has ruptured. Since the sewer gases are toxic and dangerous, contact a professional plumber.
The smells that you think are coming from the air conditioner are not always so. Sometimes their source can be found elsewhere. It may just so happen that your central cooling system has picked the smell on the way and permeated it inside your home. On the other hand, some problems inside the HVAC unit may also result in the same. Companies offering air conditioning services are most helpful in all such cases.
If you are a resident of Palm Beach, Florida, and experiencing bad smells that you think come from your AC, contact Aztil Air Conditioning. We provide the best and most satisfactory resolution to all your HVAC problems 24/7.
With limited knowledge of the HVAC system, it is foolish to try and fix its problems on your own. At such moments, it is best to depend on the professional services of a good HVAC contractor. The difference between using a qualified contractor and a scam artist will be the deciding factor in the longevity of your HVAC unit. So choosing the most suitable AC repair contractor is of utmost importance. Through the medium of this article, we shall show you the ways in which you can select the best AC repair contractor in Palm Beach County and elsewhere.
AC Repair In Palm Beach County
Unfortunately, most AC repair contractors are looked upon with distrust. It is mainly because every AC repair man tends to call himself a trained contractor. While the truth is that a majority of them are not trained, instead, they have acquired basic knowledge through trials. It is these scammers that one needs to be aware of. Fortunately, AC repair in Palm Beach County should not be too difficult for you. Just look up Aztil Air Conditioning if you want services of trained, qualified, and experienced AC repair contractor.
Where TO Look For An HVAC Contractor
ACCA or the Air Conditioning Contractors of America is one of the first places that you should lookup. It is a non-profit organization that consists of almost 4,000 businesses and 60,000professionals. One thing quite clear is that there is no dearth of trained professionals. You need to know where to look for them.
To check their consumer ratings, you can refer to either Angie’s List or the Better Business Bureau. The other option is to ask for recommendations from the people around you or friends and acquaintances.
Tips While Looking For AC Repair Contractor In Palm Beach County
Here are a few important tips you need to religiously follow if you are serious about choosing the best AC repair contractor in Palm Beach County:
1. Licensing – You should refrain from hiring an unlicensed AC repair contractor even if their fee is less. It is because these people are operating illegally under the radar. The license certifies that they take due precautions and meet all the safety standards. Having a license ensures that the contractor is continuously striving to keep their knowledge and skills up to date.
2. Multiple Candidates – Look at multiple HVAC contractors before making a choice. It’s always good to have options so that you can see who suits your needs and the budget beest. A comparison between them will revel the best candidate and make choosing easier.
3. Insurance – There is always a risk factor involved in technical and electrical work. To make the contractor accountable and responsible if things go south, it is necessary that they have insurance. Having insurance also indicates that the contractor himself is serious about all-round safety.
4. Ask For Contractor Credentials – You need to check the license and the surety bond of the AC repair contractor. But that is not all. The contractor should also specialize in the brand that you currently use. They should have the necessary maintenance, repair, and replacement experience to avoid any kind of future confusion and problems.
5. Pay Attention To How They Bid – Be aware of those AC repair contractors who bid even before understanding the problem completely. Also, never agree to any proposal over the phone. A professional contractor will always try and understand the problem before giving you any bid. Additionally, they will send in a written proposal with all the necessary details (cost & procedure) instead of a verbal one over the phone.
6. Check Reviews – Reviews give you a fair idea about the work of the contractor and how professional they are. You can check for reviews online or ask around your locality to find out who else has used them. You can also ask the contractor himself for referrals. Check out at least three of them to get the true picture.
7. Beware Of The Lowest Bidder – Unfortunately, most repair and replacement business in HVAC is generated, trying to correct a botched job that is performed by the scammers. These scammers are in business, mostly because they give the lowest quotes. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that these bargain contractors should not be trusted blindly else they will rob you blind. An HVAC system needs to be handled with the utmost care. Saving on money is a big folly because the chances are that you would be soon looking for someone else to correct the compounded problem.
Other Things To Keep In Mind
Here are a few other things that will come handy while choosing the best AC repair contractor in Palm Beach County:
1. Ask specific questions to AC repair contractors and don’t be content with unsatisfactory answers.
2. Some contractors even provide financing, so if the repair or replacement job is costly, inquire if they offer finance options.
3. If you are environment conscious, ask whether the contractor uses energy-efficient products.
The Need To Choose The Best AC Repair Contractor In Palm Beach County
Choosing the best AC repair contractor is to your benefit. Here are a few reasons why you need to make an informed choice:
1. To get the services of a trained and experienced contractor.
2. To ensure that the people handling your AC are capable and trustworthy.
3. To get the AC problem resolved as quickly as possible.
4. To see to it that the people working to install or troubleshoot your AC are adhering to all the safety standards.
It is up to your diligence how far you succeed in choosing the best AC repair contractor in Palm Beach County. Using the above-mentioned points as guidelines, you can make the most appropriate choice. Being a scrooge at this time may add to your HVAC woes. Use your intellect and research to arrive at the right candidate. Choosing the AC contractor is a one-time activity. With the right AC contractor, you can rest easy and let them handle all your AC troubles. Aztil AC is a professional and competent company that can look after your AC like their own. Feel free to contact us anytime so that you get prompt service from a qualified and experienced team.