Life was to be easy if everything could be repaired. There would be no need to buy anything new. But alas, that is not how things work, especially electrical equipment. With time, the various parts of the machine suffer wear and tear, and others simply become obsolete because of changing technology. In the end, the only option that remains is to upgrade to something new and more current. The same happens with the air conditioner. To begin with, it runs smoothly. After a few years, small snags and issues appear, which are dealt with. Further on, the technology evolves, something new hits and market, and it becomes difficult to get hold of original spares for your aging AC. In 10 to 12 years, your AC starts demanding more and more repairs, and you figure out its financially more viable to go for an AC replacement rather than another costly repair.
The Problem With Waiting
If you are honest with yourself, your AC sends you reminders of its aging continuously once it hits a decade mark. It remains up to you whether you recognize them or not. Herein lies the root of the problem, for most homeowners don’t accept these signs and simply ignore them. When you do that, a time comes when your AC will just not switch on. The problem with this situation is that buying an AC is not a decision that can be reached in a day. It needs research and due consideration to figure out which AC suits your needs the best. Until you reach that decision, you have to bear the heat and regret overlooking the 5 warning signs that indicate AC replacement in the near future.
5 Warning Signs You Need To Replace Your AC
In our bid to make your work easy, here are the top 5 warning signs that you will often come across when AC replacement is imminent:
1. Increase In Utility Bills – One of the most obvious signs that one cannot ignore is a continuous increase in the utility bills. As your air conditioner becomes old, its efficiency decreases, and it starts using more and more power to deliver the same amount of cooling. Even the periodic maintenance does not help in such times. Your electricity bill will show an enormous figure for no reason. Even your limited use of AC will not render any apparent savings. It’s merely your AC telling you that it has become old and is at the end of its road. If you recognize this sign, you can immediately start researching your options so that when your old AC goes belly up, you can replace it without much ado.
2. Constant And Costly Repairs – Think of your AC as an aging car. To keep the old car running, you will have to keep on top of all the issues that develop in it. You cannot wait for another problem to develop before taking it to the mechanic as it will aggravate and lead to other major issues. Also, the demand for repairs is incessant, and its price high due to the non-availability of authentic parts. This is exactly what happens with your AC. One component after another keeps failing. Getting hold of original parts becomes difficult, and you make do with whatever is available. The reliability of your AC decreases and the cost of repairs keeps on increasing.
3. Loud And Irritating Sounds – When your AC was new, it did not make loud noises that constantly grated on your nerves. However, with time and constant wear and tear, its parts become loose and rough. Some even break, chip off, or even develop cracks. As time passes, the decibel of these sounds increases and also does the variety. You may hear squealing, banging, scraping, and grinding noises continuously or intermittently. The noise becomes especially irritating when you want to rest but are unable to do so because of the cacophony. Oiling and greasing give no respite other than lowering the noise level for a few days until its back to creating a ruckus.
4. Ineffective Cooling – Another hard to ignore sign is diminished cooling. When your cooling system becomes old, its cooling capacity decreases steadily, and one day you realize that you are not comfortable in your own home. The air inside the house feels marginally cool and, in some instances, even warm. Since the system is already old, there is not much you can do to make it perform like new. Old components have to work hard, putting a lot of stress on the AC. The stress may cause overheating of the unit but will not do much for cooling your house more effectively. The only viable solution is the AC replacement.
5. High Humidity – An inherent feature of air conditioners is removing excess moisture from the air during summers. It is this very feature that keeps humidity in check. When the AC starts performing poorly in dehumidifying the air, your home starts feeling uncomfortable and clammy. Aging air conditioners do not deliver well in the humidity control department. They are unable to maintain the optimum level of moisture in the air, and so you land up feeling hot and sweaty even when the AC is running.
Other Signs That You Need An AC Replacement
There are a couple more signs that you should be on the lookout for. These are:
1. The refrigerant keeps on leaking even after sealing the cracks and holes.
2. Your home starts smelling bad, where it used to be pleasant earlier.
3. The thermostat needs constant adjustment, and even then, your home is not cooling as before.
4. The air coming out of the vents is very little.
5. It runs non-stop.
Periodic maintenance sees to it that your AC reaches its useful product life expectancy and even surpasses it. However, at no time will it keep your AC working for your lifetime. There is only so much you can do to get the most out of your investment. After that, it is time for AC replacement. Understanding and accepting the signs of aging in your AC will give you time to plan your finances and buy the most suitable upgrade that will serve you well in the times to come.