Air conditioning repairs are an activity that nobody wants to deal with. Mainly because repairs mean an added expense, and getting hold of a good technician is a headache in itself. But alas, not wanting one does not keep it at bay. Sometimes repairs are a necessity, especially if you wish to keep the unwanted expenditures in check. It may not be possible to do away with the need for AC repairs completely, but there are ways to avoid them.
3 Biggest Air Conditioning Repair Mistakes And How To Avoid Them
The three major contributors to most AC problems that result in repairs are:
1. Not Buying The Correct Size AC – The bigger, the better is the most foolish mistake committed by most homeowners. The size of the cooling unit has to be in proportion to the size of your home. Buying an undersized unit will not cool your home sufficiently, and an oversized unit will constantly cycle on and off. Both situations are completely undesirable. In the first instance, your AC will be operating under a lot of strain, causing it to overheat and get damaged. In the second instance, the AC cycles on and off frequently, resulting in massive wear and tear of its components and also fails to dehumidify the home effectively. In both cases, the AC suffers harm leading to repairs, and your home, too, does not become comfortable. It is a loss at both ends. When you purchase an air conditioner appropriate for the size of your home, it will provide cooling, remove humidity, and work efficiently without causing any harm whatsoever.
2. Skipping The Maintenance Schedule – Air conditioner maintenance is by no means a wasteful activity. Yet many people consider it to be so. Maintenance, servicing, or tune-up are some interchangeably used names to describe a whole list of activities carried out by a trained HVAC technician to make sure that the cooling unit runs without any breakdown throughout the season. Year after year, the AC works longs hours for days or months in the end. Continuous use causes wear and tear and loss of efficiency. It can also lead to electrical and mechanical failures. The most proactive way to rectify any such budding occurrences is through the annual AC maintenance. The best part is that with a strictly followed tune-up schedule, the need for AC repairs falls. Even if one is needed, the chances are that it will not be a major work and so will not sit heavy on your pockets.
3. Not Giving Importance To The Location Of The Unit – Mostly, air conditioners are pre-installed by the builders. Remember, they are not HVAC experts by any means. While installing the AC, their main criterion is that it should not become an eyesore. They go more for aesthetics rather than practical value. Rarely do they pay attention to the fact that the place where they are installing it may not be ideal? Their choice of place can put your home’s heating and cooling system to harm from excessive moisture or direct sunlight. Fixing a location mistake is not easy. Nonetheless, the earlier this problem is corrected, the better are your chances of getting the most out of your air conditioner. The best way to take corrective action is by asking your HVAC contractor to come and assess its present location. If he finds it inappropriate, he will tell you the best place for its reinstallation. Though it may seem like a lot of work at the moment, correcting it at the earliest will save you from a lot of expensive headaches later.
Tips To Avoid AC Repairs
Ignoring the problems does not make them go away. In fact, that will lead to serious and more expensive troubles. So, here are a few tips to make your air conditioner work without any malfunctions:
1. Learn to use your smart thermostat better. The more you play with it, the better understanding you will get.
2. Only permit trained HVAC technicians or contractors to look after the AC. Do not fall victim to those who quote low-figures. Their figures are low because they provide poor service in terms of both quality and safety.
3. Change the air filters every three months, if not every month. This will keep the movent of air free of restrictions allowing better cooling of the house.
4. Keep the area around the outdoor unit free of any obstructions. Do not allow bushes or accumulations like dry leaves and stones to grow around it.
5. Use the ceiling fans in your home to reduce the workload on the AC. This will not only put less strain on the cooling unit but will also reduce the monthly utility bills.
6. Do not ever try to carry out AC repairs yourself. Since you are not qualified to handle the job, you will be putting yourself and your AC in harm’s way.
7. Keep the exterior of the AC unit clean. It includes the superficial cleaning of the outdoor unit, air handler, vents, and registers.
8. Sometimes out of sheer forgetfulness and at other times due to lack of knowledge, homeowners close the vents or block the registers. This is not correct as it puts a strain on the cooling system. Refrain from closing the vents and registers because it prohibits the free airflow causing the system to overheat and malfunction.
In The End
When you move into a new home or buy a new AC, do try and avoid making the mistakes that we discussed above. The key points to remember are that location of the AC is of utmost importance; it needs a strict annual maintenance schedule and the size of the AC matters. Whenever in doubt, one should always ask for the assistance of a trained and reputable HVAC contractor. Their knowledge and experience are bound o benefit you and your air conditioning system.
If you live in West Palm Beach, Florida, look up Aztil Air Conditioning for all your HVAC needs. We are a family-owned business that consists of trained, experienced, and hard-working technicians. Keeping your home and office cool and comfortable during summers and warm and cozy in winters is our sole priority. We take care of all tasks, including HVAC installation, repairs, and maintenance. Since troubles never see the time of the day before striking, we are open 24/7 to serve you. Pick up the phone and dial +1-888-729-8452 to book an appointment now.